Today’s post is authored by Jennifer Glover of Carolina Girl Cooks blog, based in Greenville, South Carolina.
I love the flavor of blueberry and lemon together. It’s so fresh and summery. But I think it makes all the difference when fat, fresh blueberries are in season. Several years ago, I planted six blueberry bushes in my back yard in an attempt to make my yard a mini farm. It’s so much fun to pick a handful of ripe berries, still warm from the vine and throw them right into your bowl of cereal. Talk about farm-to-table or in this case, yard-to-bowl! So, with blueberry season upon us, and my little patch of antioxidants about ready to pick, I wanted to share a way to use them other than just in cereal. Now, I realize that I have taken a super food and made it super unhealthy, but this is meant to be a special breakfast once in a blue moon. I think you’ll approve. Enjoy!
Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Rolls
- 1 can of crescent rolls
- 1/4 cup of softened butter
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 cup of fresh blueberries, washed and dried
- 1 lemon, 1 Tbsp of the zest and juice
- 2 oz of cream cheese at room temperature
- 3/4-1 cup of powdered sugar.
- Wash and dry the blueberries. In a small bowl, mash together the softened butter and brown sugar.
- On a cutting board, roll out the crescent dough pinching together the perforated edges. Cut about 8 strips of dough.
- Smear the dough strips with the sugar mixture and dot with blueberries.
- Roll them up and place them in a cake pan.
- Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes. The tops of the rolls should be golden brown.
- In another small bowl, combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest. Mix together until it's a spreadable icing. Add more lemon juice to thin out, or add more powdered sugar to thicken, whichever you may need.
- When the rolls come out of the oven, allow them to cool for about 5-10 minutes before icing.
Instructions by photo:
Thank you to Jennifer Glover for this great recipe.
Enjoy this yummy breakfast treat. If we could open another StyleBlueprint in Greenville, we would. But, instead, we’re thrilled to have Jennifer stop by every now and then! Check out Jennifer’s recipes here: carolinagirlcooks.com