As Nashville continues to expand on a minute-to-minute basis, its neighborhoods welcome an influx of new restaurants, bars, retail, and more — and no Nashville neighborhood has seen more rapid change than The Gulch. A destination loved by residents and tourists alike (you’re bound to pass a bachelorette party or two mingling among the locals), The Gulch has a little bit of everything.
Whether you’re looking to try a new spot or planning a weekend trip to Nashville, this guide has all you need to know about the bustling, centrally-located area known as The Gulch (not to be confused with “North Gulch,” one of Nashville’s more recently established nooks). Happy exploring!
Looking for something in particular? Use these links to skip around between categories:
*This article is updated annually, with most recent updates by Addy Crosby in December 2023.
WHERE TO EAT
For a relatively small area, The Gulch is home to some of Nashville’s tastiest and trendiest restaurants. You’ll find Virago’s creative and shareable sushi and Moto’s fresh and indulgent pasta selections. Also calling The Gulch home is local barbecue favorite Peg Leg Porker. Kayne Prime and STK offer a high-end steakhouse atmosphere, while Sunda brings flavors of Southeast Asian flavors, and The Gumbo Bros infuses a little Cajun comfort. Read on for a complete list!
- 404 Kitchen: This European-influenced restaurant is excellent for a night out when guests are in town. Chef Matt Bolus creates consistently delicious menus, and his reputation precedes him.
- Adele’s: Don’t leave without a taste of their famous kale salad and JW potatoes. This spot is great for groups, and we always recommend ordering multiple dishes so you can taste a little bit of everything.
- Bar Louie: Grab a cocktail and order from a menu of elevated bar favorites like burgers, flatbreads, and loaded tots. This gastropub has a great patio, complete with a fire pit!
- Biscuit Love: Risk it for the biscuit! No, really, prepare to wait in line for a taste of those famous “bonuts” or the hidden menu item: The Nasty Princess, a hot chicken biscuit topped with sausage gravy.
- Burger Republic: As you’d expect, you’ll find plenty of inventive burgers (and veggie burgers!) on the menu here. But don’t leave without a taste of the Nashville hot tots.
- Carne Mare: Located in W Nashville, Carne Mare is a contemporary Italian chophouse that wows. Chef Andrew brings his experience in Emilia-Romagna, Italy, to the table with menu highlights like octopus carpaccio, salt-baked sea bass wrapped in fig leaves, and porchetta-spiced roast prime rib.
- The Chef & I: The husband-wife duo behind The Chef & I brings an immersive dinner experience and fantastic tasting menu to the Gulch.
- The Dutch: Also located in W Nashville, The Dutch is the brainchild of Chef Andrew Carmellini, Josh Pickard, and Luke Ostrom — the trio behind New York City’s beloved Italian taverna, Locanda Verde. The menu is a carefully curated selection of dishes that range from American classics to unique options like Smoked Ricotta Ravioli and Pecan Duck with Dirty Rice.
- Del Frisco’s Grille: Enjoy modern American cuisine, warm hospitality, and delectable drinks in a cozy atmosphere. This sophisticated dining option is conveniently located in the heart of Nashville, right next to the Gulch.
- Emmy Squared: Serving Detroit-style pizza, this New York-founded restaurant has made a splash in the Nashville restaurant scene. Try the hot chicken pizza or the hot chicken wedge if you’re looking for some Music City-style heat.
- The Gumbo Bros: For a taste of the deep South right here in Nashville, The Gumbo Bros is the place to go. Before a night out, it’s a great place to fill up on hearty Cajun comfort foods like gumbo, fried seafood, and po’boy sandwiches. (If you’re feeling adventurous, go for the fried Louisiana alligator.)
- Iberian Pig: The Atlanta favorite recently opened in the Gulch, serving tastes of Spain in an eclectic and social space! Find traditional charcutería, queso, tapas, and more on the menu.
- Kayne Prime: Known as one of Nashville’s best steakhouses, Kayne Prime promises an exquisite experience whether you grab a drink and apps at the bar or settle in for a multi-course meal.
- Luogo: Restauranteur Anthony Scotto brings upscale Italian fare to the heart of the Gulch with Luogo. Find his iconic dishes on the menu, as well as Mediterranean-coastal style cuisine at this location.
- Marsh House: Light and bright, the restaurant inside the Thompson Hotel has made a name for itself as a seafood destination in Nashville. Enjoy brunch, happy hour, or dinner here.
- Milk & Honey: Hailing from Chattanooga with rave reviews, Milk & Honey offers a little bit of everything. Serving brunch, breakfast, lunch, dinner, coffee, and juice, there’s not much you can’t find!
- Moto: This Italian restaurant has an extensive wine list and homemade pasta. Don’t miss the crispy artichokes or strozzapreti pasta with lobster, Boursin cream, and yuzu butter bread crumbs.
- Otaku Ramen: Where slurping is allowed! Order a bowl of Tennessee Tonkotsu and warm up from the inside out.
- Party Fowl: If it’s hot chicken you want, Party Fowl is your place. You can find everything from a hot chicken po’boy to hot chicken poutine on the menu.
- Peg Leg Porker: With barbecue that’s smoked fresh every day and Southern sides made with love, Peg Leg Porker serves mouth-watering meals. Enjoy a boozy slush alongside your BBQ!
- The Pub: At the corner of 11th and Pine, you’ll find The Pub, an authentic English eatery with a cozy and bustling atmosphere. They offer a full menu of favorites like fish and chips, but it’s also a great spot for grabbing a beer and watching the game.
- Saint Añejo: For Mexican and margaritas, head to Saint Añejo. They have a great happy hour and serve brunch on the weekends (hello, breakfast tacos!).
- Sambuca: A Nashville mainstay, Sambuca has been around since long before The Gulch became the happening, tourist-friendly destination it is today. They offer various updated American classics in a cozy lounge atmosphere, plus live music every day.
- Snooze A.M. Eatery: Flip the script on breakfast. Snooze in the Gulch boasts a unique menu of responsibly sourced fare and Gourmet coffee options.
- STK: Try STK for a scene-y steakhouse with a more lively atmosphere. The menu includes far more than just steaks. Like pancake stacks you can only dream of.
- St. Vito Focacceria: This is the only place in Nashville that serves Sicilian-style pizzas called “sfincione.” Light, crispy, and mouth-watering, this pizza is like nothing you’ve ever tasted!
- Stock & Barrel: Burgers and bourbon are the reasons to visit Stock & Barrel. A long list ensures you’ll find a favorite of them both.
- Sunda: In the heart of The Gulch, Sunda serves up modern interpretations of dishes from all over Southeast Asia.
- Superica: Offering up a fun atmosphere (complete with a large outdoor patio), Superica specializes in Tex-Mex favorites like nachos, fajitas, tamales, and a selection of creative margarita options. Their guacamole is not to be missed!!
- Virago: Located between Moto and Saint Añejo, the sexy space serves the sushi we’ve loved since they were still in Midtown. Trust us, order the crispy rice and spicy tuna!
The Gulch is home to its fair share of fine dining, but there are plenty of options for a quick-service stop to fuel your explorations, too.
- Calle Taco: Street tacos are always a good idea. The quaint Nashville location boasts excellent food, tequila, and service — but the steak fajitas, shrimp tacos, and al pastor are truly divine!
- The Co-Op Frosé and Eatery: This adorable Island Cafe serves up $1 coffee, gourmet sandwiches, and of course, their World Famous Frosé! And in true Gulch fashion, there are plenty of photo-ops to be had inside.
- E+ROSE Wellness Cafe: Ideal if you’re looking for a nutritious energy boost, E+ROSE offers healthy lunch options like salads, superfood bowls, picture-perfect layered toasts, plus a selection of smoothies and fresh juices.
- Potbelly Sandwich Shop: If you’re exploring Nashville on foot and want to keep the momentum going, the hearty sandwich selection at Potbelly is a great option.
- Taziki’s: With several locations around Nashville, Taziki’s offers a super fresh menu of Mediterranean-inspired options like gyros, Greek salads, skewers, and more.
- Turnip Truck: Turnip Truck is more than just a grocery store. Their hot bar, salad bar, juice bar, and deli provide options for any meal of the day.
WHERE TO DRINK
The Gulch has become a weekend destination for everything from morning coffee to rooftop cocktails. You could easily eat and drink your way through the area and touch on all your favorite beverages … within just a few feet. Grab a juice from I Love Juice Bar, enjoy a pre-dinner cocktail at Gertie’s inside 404 Kitchen, or join the nightlife scene at L.A. Jackson.
- Barista Parlor: While there are several locations around town, The Gulch is home to not one but two Barista Parlor outposts — one on Magazine Street and one in the new W Nashville hotel. This hip coffee hotspot is well-loved (and well-‘grammed) for a reason.
- Gertie’s Bar: Tucked inside 404 Kitchen, this bar serves a select menu of food and the craft cocktails you’d expect.
- Hops + Crafts: A local favorite spot, Hops + Crafts features 36 taps of local and regional beers and a menu of shareable snacks.
- I Love Juice Bar: Grab a green juice or smoothie, açaí bowl, or toast at this healthy juice bar where everything possible is plant-based, organic, and gluten-free.
- Killebrew: Located on the main floor of the Thompson Hotel, Killebrew serves Revelator coffee, pastries by Chef Lisa Marie White, and a selection of grab-and-go items.
- L.A. Jackson: On the rooftop floor of the Thompson, you’ll find L.A. Jackson, a beloved rooftop bar with indoor and outdoor space. They recently added brunch to their offerings so that you can enjoy skyline views with your mimosa.
- Nashville Sundae Club: This playful spot offers plenty of decadent soft serve, sundaes, and sandwiches. But you can’t visit the Sundae Club without grabbing one of their signature boozy milkshakes!
- Proof: The rooftop bar and lounge atop W Nashville, Proof is great for evening drinks or late night revelry, and they serve a lively brunch on the weekends.
- Tin Cup Coffee Co.: This local favorite began as a web design and digital marketing agency — Horton Group’s best-kept secret. Soon enough, Tin Cup made a name for itself by brewing epic coffee and crafting signature lattes. Later, it expanded to its current location in the Gulch.
- Up Rooftop Lounge: On top of the Fairfield Inn and Suites, check out Up, another rooftop bar with gorgeous views. Sip a cocktail and watch the sun setting over Nashville.
- Vui’s Juice Cafe: Another juice spot, and relatively new to The Gulch, is Vui’s! Enjoy a selection of fresh juices, superfood smoothies, coffee and tea, wellness shots, and all-day breakfast and lunch.
WHERE TO PLAY + EXPLORE
Of course, it wouldn’t be “Music City” if not for a few live music options at every turn. While there are always opportunities to catch live music around town, The Gulch offers two unique and intimate options you won’t find downtown — Rudy’s Jazz Room and Station Inn. Plus, you’ll find plenty of opportunities for play in The Gulch, perfect for kids at heart. Don’t forget to snap a pic or two at some of Nashville’s iconic murals, too!
- 16-Bit Bar & Arcade: A sprawling, high-energy space with plenty to do, 16-Bit offers 30+ classic arcade games plus a selection of playful cocktails with names like the Hulk Hogan (Blueberry vodka, lemonade, the original Bomb Pop) and the Lisa Frank (vodka, fruit punch, sprite, watermelon Pucker, pineapple rum, and an Airhead rainbow sour belt).
- Casa de Montecristo: This is the ideal spot to strike up a premium stogie and mingle with other cigar enthusiasts! There is also a full bar and live music performances every Thursday night.
- Pins Mechanical: A true playground for grown-ups, Pins Mechanical offers pinball, foosball, ping pong, duckpin bowling (essentially “miniature” bowling), bocce ball, and more. (They just added a slide a month or so ago!) They also offer an extensive lineup of draft beer and cocktails. They don’t serve food, but outside food is welcome, and there’s typically a food truck nearby.
- Puttshack: Elevate the typical mini-golf experience with a visit to Puttshack — tech-infused mini-golf perfect for families, date nights, and friendly competition. Check out the live DJs on weekends, and enjoy food to satisfy your post-game appetite all week.
- Rudy’s Jazz Room: Step out for a night of authentic jazz. Rudy’s Jazz Room has tunes seven nights a week, not to mention delicious drinks and bites to accompany it.
- Station Inn: Americana, country, and bluegrass music rule Station Inn. For a unique experience, attend a Bluegrass Jam, where musicians circle up and play together, often improvising to achieve stunning results.
WHERE TO SHOP
A range of shopping exists in The Gulch. From both high-end and trendy clothing to vintage guitars and artisan chocolates, the variety means everyone in your group can find something to browse (and buy!). Lucchese is one of just three flagship stores, and it houses some of the most luxurious boots and leather accessories in town. Patagonia and Lululemon are supplying Nashville with outdoor apparel and activewear. One thing is certain — you’ve got plenty of shopping ahead of you.
- Blush: Blush is a women’s boutique that offers trendy clothing and accessories at an affordable price point.
- Carter Vintage Guitars: Self-proclaimed to be Nashville’s friendliest guitar shop, Carter Vintage Guitars is a neat place to stop in, even if you’re not in the market for a new guitar.
- DanielXDiamond: Designers Daniel Musto and Lani Lupton bring the glamour and heritage of country music to the streets with their iconic, bedazzled statement pieces. Shop The Nashville Collection inspired by the cuts, colors, and popularity of the jacket line in the Gulch!
- Design Within Reach: Shop 24 separate, fully decorated rooms in this modern interior design studio.
- e.Allen: From timeless little black dresses to trendy accessories, e.Allen has a variety of stylish women’s clothing and accessories.
- Finnleys: This laid-back shop offers a fun shopping experience where you can browse fashion-forward pieces at an affordable price.
- King Baby Studio: Rock ‘n’ roll-inspired jewelry by Mitchell Binder fills King Baby Studio, and each piece is eye candy.
- Kittenish: Jessie James Decker’s shop reflects her style — chic, fun, trendy, and functional. This spot also sells swimwear!
- Lucchese: Handcrafted and luxurious, Lucchese boots and accessories are something special. Step into this flagship store and see the incredible craftsmanship of this brand.
- Lululemon: A perfect fit for young professional residents of The Gulch and tourists alike, Lululemon offers high-end athletic wear for both men and women.
- Nashville Boot Co.: This locally owned and operated boot store is an authentic piece of Nashville. They promise the best prices on name-brand boots like Lucchese, Dingo, and Ariat, to name a few.
- Paddywax Candle Bar: At Paddywax, you can purchase high-quality, ready-made candles or join a candle-pouring workshop and make your own. They also offer at-home pouring kits and candle subscriptions.
- Parachute: Treat yourself to a selection of premium quality sheets, towels, robes, rugs, and more at Parachute. And take advantage of complimentary design services in-store!
- Parish: Country music star stylist Claudia Robertson Fowler opened Parish to bring upscale women’s clothing to The Gulch. Find designer denim and statement-making accessories.
- Patagonia: Relatively new to The Gulch, shop a large selection of Patagonia’s clothing, gear, and accessories.
- Pet Wants: This unique store sells fresh and highly nutritional food for your pets that’s free of fillers or animal by-products. They also deliver!
- Q Clothier and Rye 51: A dual-concept store that offers both custom and ready-to-wear men’s clothing, Q Clothier and Rye 51 both offer customized men’s clothing with pockets, monograms, cuffs, and more.
- Rustler Hat Co.: Offering a fun Nashville-centric experience, Rustler Hat Co. allows guests to schedule custom fittings to choose a hat that perfectly suits them — then customize it with a combination of accessories to make it uniquely theirs. (You can also book private experiences for groups of five or more!)
- Uncommon James: Kristin Cavallari founded this jewelry shop filled with sophisticated and straightforward pieces. Additionally, find home accessories and apparel.
- Urban Outfitters: Clothing, accessories, home decor, gifts, and more fill Urban Outfitters, located in the heart of The Gulch.
- Winky Lux: Winky Lux is a cruelty-free, paraben-free cosmetic brand pop-up shop. More than a store, Winky Lux offers an experience with photo opportunities around every corner.
WHERE TO PAMPER
The Gulch is home to plenty of spots to pamper and take care of yourself. Whether it’s a blowout, haircut, or manicure you’re after, you’ll find it in The Gulch.
- Adagio Massage Co. & Spa: This gem offers massages as individual as its clients. Book a session as a bonding activity, for sore muscle relief, or simply to decompress. Massages are only one service Adagio offers, so browse the website for a complete list.
- The Blowout Co.: For your next big event or a special night out, book a blowout at The Blowout Co. The one-stop shop also offers makeup application services.
- Brazilian Wax Studio: This studio offers top-quality, all-natural waxes at an affordable price. Book today and experience the difference for yourself!
- Face Foundrie: Face Foundrie offers services, including lashes, brows, skin care, and, of course, facials. These sessions are a great way to break up a mundane day or the hectic nature of a trip to leave you feeling refreshed.
- The Gulch Nail Bar: Stop into The Gulch Nail Bar and treat yourself to a manicure and pedicure at this luxurious salon.
- OVME: For a natural, glowing you, indulge in self-care at OVME! Check out all their services when you book online.
- Scout’s Barbershop: Scout’s gives haircuts and colors to men, women, and children of Nashville. You’ll want to hang around in the comfortable, inviting space.
WHERE TO SWEAT
Oddly, you’re just as likely to see a crew in cowboy boots as a crew in sweaty workout gear wandering around The Gulch. Whether you’re looking for a class that combines cardio, strength training, and mindfulness like barre3 or a course that will grow your endurance to the tune of loud music and a dark room like CycleBar, The Gulch has you covered.
- barre3: Classes at barre3 combine strength conditioning, cardio, and mindfulness. The fun workout is 60 minutes and ends in meditation.
- Barry’s Bootcamp: A high-intensity interval workout alternating between treadmill and floor work with weights and bands, Barry’s promises a challenging — yet rewarding — group class experience.
- CycleBar: Music-blasting and heart-pumping, CycleBar is a premium indoor cycling experience that will leave you feeling mentally and physically stronger.
- Hotbox Fitness: A kickboxing and strength-building workout, the atmosphere welcomes novice and advanced kickboxers.
- Pure Barre: The total body workout is low-impact and uses thoughtful isometric movements to produce results.
- Rumble Boxing: Rumble promises a 45-minute, high-energy workout set to custom hip-hop and house mashups, led by talented fitness instructors acting as DJs and motivational speakers throughout the experience.
- SHED Group Fitness: SHED Group Fitness classes focus on a different muscle group each day and lead you through a handful of workout stations, each lasting a few minutes.
- TruMav Fitness: TruMav’s signature programming is a challenging boot camp-style high-intensity training class. We recommend the introductory level class TRUFIT, as it incorporates all aspects of a TRUMAV workout!
For more Nashville neighborhood guides, click HERE!