When it comes to having people over for brunch or cocktails, you typically want food that is easy to make but feels special — which is exactly where this recipe comes in handy. This makes 15 appetizer servings or it can easily be used as a brunch main dish for five to eight people, assuming everyone will eat one to three slices.
Not only is this dish delicious, but it’s also really pretty. And, you can make the whole thing in about 20 minutes.
I saw a photo of a similar dish on Instagram recently, and it reminded me that I used to make this recipe. But, the photo I saw added Everything Bagel Seasoning which I thought was brilliant, and I added it to this recipe as well. I wish I could link to the photo I saw, but I was in an Instagram haze of scroll, scroll, scroll, and I have not been able to find it since.
For this recipe, I highly recommend you use a mandolin to slice the cucumber, the lemon, and the red onion. If you don’t, I would not make this recipe. Skip it. Buy a mandolin. Come back to it! (I use the OXO Chef’s Steel Mandoline at home and truly love it. I’ve used three other options and this is my preferred style and brand. I found the best price on Amazon here.)
You’ll need smoked salmon or lox, a tube of Pillsbury Crescent Dough Sheet, a small red onion, one lemon, capers, an English cucumber, fresh dill, Everything Bagel Seasoning, herbs, salt, and pepper. That’s it!
Smoked Salmon Flatbread
- 1 mandoline slicer
- 1 tube Pillsbury Crescent Dough Sheet
- 4 oz whipped cream cheese I like the Kroger house brand
- 8 oz smoked salmon I used the "Private Edition" brand
- 1 small red onion
- 1 lemon
- 1 English cucumber
- 2 tbsp capers I prefer the Mediterranean Organic Capers
- fresh dill
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup Everything Bagel Seasoning Blend I suggest the Simple Truth brand
- Cook the Pillsbury Crescent Dough Sheet according to the instructions. For my oven, 12 minutes is perfect.
- As the dough sheet is cooking, slice one lemon in half and then, using a mandoline slicer, slice each side into thin slices. Slice 1/4 of an English cucumber on the mandoline. Then slice one small red onion on the mandoline slicer. You'll want each to be very thin. See the photo in this article as an example.
- Remove the dough sheet from over when fully cooked. After a couple minutes, when the dough is still warm, spread the whipped cream cheese across the sheet. Mix 3/4 of the Everything Bagel Seasoning Blend as you spread the cream cheese.
- Then, layer on sliced cucumbers, red onion, and capers.
- Next, place 15 pieces of smoked salmon onto the dough sheet. (As you place the salmon, imagine where you are going to cut the sheet: you want 5 rows intersecting with 3 rows, making a total of 15 pieces. Place the salmon in the approximate center of each peice.
- Then, layer on fresh dill, more cucumber, the lemon (yes, when sliced very thin, lemon with the rind is delicious!), more onion, capers, salt, and pepper.
- Top the entire sheet with the last bit of Everything Bagel Seasoning.
- Using a pizza slicer, slice the sheet into 15 even pieces.
- Place on a platter and enjoy!
- Extras to consider: chopped hard-boiled eggs, pea sprouts, caviar
Here are three more salmon recipes:
Want more recipes, travel ideas, interviews with fascinating women, and ways to live a better life? Of course, you do! Use the box below to sign up for StyleBlueprint’s daily emails for a taste of the good life.