This salad … it mixes strong flavors with subtle ones for a home run hit just in time for a fall palette change.
While many people love Brussels sprouts, not many have tried to use them raw, and this is a delicious and nutritious way to eat them. The secret is slicing them thin, and I suggest the slicing blade on a food processor. Don’t be intimidated that this recipe calls for this. You’ll have a pound of Brussels sliced in less than a minute with this handy tool.
Next up, stick with that same slicing blade and slice a nice chunk of fennel and then your apples.
For the red onion, I suggest either a mandolin or simply just cutting with a sharp knife as you want these paper-thin, which is hard for most food processors to do.
This salad is easy to prep and quick to make. Make it into a heftier meal by added grilled chicken on top, or the Chicken Salad with Apples and Walnuts, or a piece of salmon. With or without the added protein, this salad is a keeper.
RECIPE: Shaved Brussels Sprout Fall Salad with Apples
- 1 pound shaved Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup shaved fennel bulb
- 1 shaved apple I prefer Granny Smith or Honeycrisp ... or double them up and have both!
- 1/3 cup gorgonzola crumbles
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- Thinly sliced as thin as you can red onion (As much as you want. Consider rinsing them to cut the taste.)
- 1/2 cup creamy blue cheese dressing
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shave one pound of Brussels using the shaving blade on a food processor or by knife. But, a food processor makes this super easy and takes less than a minute to shave a full pound. (I use one pound of Brussels sprouts because not only is that the right amount, it's also typically the amount that comes in a bag from the grocery store. I typically shop at Kroger and you can find organic Brussels there as well. Using the whole bag means no wasted food!)
- Shave a nice chunk of a fennel bulb to give you 1/2 cup.
- Shave 1-2 apples — I suggest both Granny Smith and Honeycrisp, but choose varieties that you enjoy. (Side note: There is no need to clean the processor bowl between these ingredients that you are shaving).
- Layer Brussels sprouts, then fennel, then apple on a tray or in a large bowl.
- Next, sprinkle 1/3 cup (or your preference) of both gorgonzola cheese and slivered almonds across the top of the shaved vegetables.
- Thinly slice (by knife or mandolin ... but paper-thin!) red onion, amount of your choosing. Place on top of salad.
- Toss salad with creamy blue cheese dressing and apple cider vinegar.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
But wait! There’s more! We have THREE MORE apple recipes that will knock your socks off. Click HERE!
Find more amazing recipes in our archives. Click HERE.