Update your chicken salad for fall with apples and walnuts. My go-to recipes are typically adaptable to ingredients on hand, and this recipe is no different. I like to use 1-2 apples depending on the size, but I don’t like to measure in cups, as I don’t like having leftover cut apples sitting around … although I suppose you could just eat the leftovers.
The same goes for the chicken — just use the whole chicken! Unless you happen to have one of those colossal rotisserie chickens, a typical-sized one will have just the right amount of chicken for this recipe. As my kids and husband like to eat the chicken legs on their own, this recipe uses the white breast meat plus the thigh meat. Want to add the meat from the legs? No problem; it’s your chicken salad — use that meat.
I’m a big fan of finishing salt, so if you have some on hand, a quick sprinkle at the end is a nice touch.
- Meat from one rotisserie chicken (3-4 cups)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1-2 apples diced (depending on your preference). We recommend Honeycrisp or Granny Smith varieties
- 2 T diced red onion
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup diced walnuts
- Generous salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- If serving on a salad, top with a few more diced walnuts and apples and a few shakes of black pepper to make a pretty presentation.
- If you are not a fan of onions, but can handle green onions, feel free to substitute.
But wait! There’s more! We have THREE MORE apple recipes that will knock your socks off. Click HERE!
Find more amazing recipe and meal ideas in our archives. Click HERE.