Brussels sprouts continue to be the hero vegetable that so many love, yet never knew that they did before a few years ago. Here is yet another way to enjoy this vegetable, prepared as a perfect side for summer picnics and bbqs.
Here’s the gist of the recipe: Buy three pounds of shaved Brussels, or shave them yourself (I just use the mandolin blade on my food processor). Roast two pounds in a 425 pre-heated oven, tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper, for 12 minutes or starting to char. I roast one pound per cookie sheet to keep the vegetables shallow so that they crisp a little more when roasting them. Take them out to cool for approximately five minutes. Then, toss them with the other pound of raw shaved Brussels. Add eight ounces, or less depending on your taste, or pecan pieces and toss again.
At this point, you could stop and it’s delicious. Or, you could cook four strips of bacon, crumble them and toss in the Brussels mixture along with a little of the bacon grease. It’s so good this way. But, for the recipe below, I’m assuming that you are pairing with bbq, so I left meat out of the salad as a meat reprieve. I made homemade Caesar dressing but used greek yogurt for half the oil I typically use and had great results. Toss the entire mixture with the dressing and then salt and pepper again to taste.
What’s so great about this salad is that even dressed, because it’s Brussels sprouts and not lettuce, the salad will continue to be good for several days — just refrigerate. Ideas include using it instead of slaw on a bbq sandwich, heating the next day and serving with a fried egg on top or cooking up some mountain trout as the flavors are great together!
Now that you see that there are many ways to take this recipe, here is the way I made it to serve with bbq. Hope you enjoy!
- 3 pounds Brussels sprouts, shaved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup broken pecan pieces
- 1 2 ounce can anchovies
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, plain
- 1/2 cup dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 6 cloves of garlic (or 1.5 tsp granulated garlic)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- To shave the Brussels, cut off the core end and then use the mandolin blade of your food processor, or slice thinly. You can also buy them pre-shredded at many grocery stores. Roast two pounds in a 425 pre-heated oven, tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper, for 10-12 minutes or starting to char. Roast one pound per regular sized cookie sheet to keep the vegetables shallow so that they crisp a little more when roasting them. Take them out to cool for approximately five minutes. Then, toss them with the other pound of raw shaved Brussels. Add eight ounces, or less depending on your taste, or pecan pieces and toss again.
- To make dressing, place all ingredients in your food processor with your chopping blade and blend for approximately 5-7 seconds.
- Toss Brussels sprouts with half the prepared dressing. Save the rest for another Caesar salad later in the week!
Check out all our StyleBlueprint recipes HERE!
Sign up for a daily email that you’ll actually look forward to … StyleBlueprint! Sign up HERE!