You may be familiar with the traditional Italian version of this salad, always made with bread and tomatoes. Today, we make a hearty version with a nod to the fresh flavors of Mexico with some corn, avocado and cilantro introduced.
This salad is super quick to make and you can add—or leave out—ingredients, based on your personal preference. Consider this an inspiration recipe for you to doctor as you see fit! Additions might include things you have on hand from the farmers market, including diced zucchini, squash, onion, radishes, bell peppers, olives … be creative! However, as is, this recipe promises to be a fabulous twist on a traditional favorite.
Mexican Panzanella Salad Recipe
- One large baguette or hearty loaf of bread torn into pieces
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 small handful chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup diced green onions
- 1 avocado peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- Two large handfuls baby kale
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Juice from one lime approximately 2 Tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup goat cheese crumbles optional
- Leave torn pieces of baguette (or whichever hearty bread you are using) on a baking sheet on your counter overnight. Or you can toast them in the oven. You want the bread to be on the stale side.
- Cut the kernels off both ears of corn.
- Remove the seeds from the jalapeno (I always wear latex gloves) and slice it into thin, small strips.
- Cook the corn and jalapeno slices in a saucepan with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil for 6 to 8 minutes over medium-high heat or until the corn is browned and the jalapeno slices are completely soft (this mixture will be really spicy!).
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and place them In a large bowl.
- Add the cilantro, chopped into two-inch pieces.
- Add the corn/pepper mixture.
- Add the diced green onions.
- Add the avocado, cut into chunks
- Add the chicken
- Add the baby kale.
- Mix all these ingredients gently.
- Add enough bread to your liking, usually 2 to 3 cups.
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients together in a container and drizzle over the salad.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss salad.
- Optional: add goat cheese to the top
A step-by-step for how to create this Mexican Panzanella Salad:
Enjoy the bounties of summer with this Mexican Panzanella Salad!
Want more great ideas? Sign up for our daily email! Click below.