Have you ever eaten something so good that conversation ceased? It’s as if your mind can’t take in anything else because of the sensory overload coming from that startling goodness you are eating. I now understand that expression “So good it’ll make you slap your mama.” If you are needing a moment like this, I suggest a road trip to Santa Fe. That’s Santa Fe, Tennessee.
(All these photos were taken on my iPhone as the place was just so casual and homey that I hated to break the moment with my big ol’ Cannon Rebel with flash.)
15 minutes from Leiper’s Fork is a teeny tiny cinder block walled restaurant opened up by some Louisiana true-blood. Papa Boudreaux’s can only fit 30 people at a time and this place, off Fly Road in Maury Co, is busy from when the doors open a 4:00PM until they close at 9:30PM (8:00PM if it’s not the weekend). I promise you that you won’t get any better Cajun food on Bourbon Street itself. Grab some friends, or just a date, and head south. By the way, if you don’t go with friends, you’ll have some by the time you leave. This place is practically elbow to elbow and conversations all blend into one – especially the “hey- what’s that you ordered over there sweet thing?” questions. Just drink your BYOB and enjoy.
The next Crawfish Boil is June 11th and 12th. And, they are having a Shrimp boil this coming weekend, June 4th and 5th. Oh, so many reasons to return. www.papaboudreaux.com.
Things to know:
- You will not get a prettier drive than to travel to Santa Fe through Leipers Fork, so give yourself plenty of daylight to enjoy the drive.
- There are detours no matter which way to travel from the recent floods. From 440/West End, give yourself 55 minutes to get there. It’s worth it.
- Kids can eat here but it’s probably more fun to leave them at home. I say that, but next time we are bringing our kids – (but no slappin’ mama!)
- They are closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Saturday at 7:00PM is usually their busiest time.
- Monday nights are All You Can Eat nights. This means: for $18.95 you can order anything off the menu, one item at a time, and you will get a smaller than normal portion. No sharing!
- There are specials each Friday and Saturday night added to the menu. Call at 3:00PM and they’ll tell you what they are. Phone: (931) 682-0040
- Papa Boudreaux’s does not take credit cards so be sure to grab cash or a check.
- The waiting room is the parking lot. Things to know when it’s cold … or raining.
- Santa Fe is not pronounced like the one in New Mexico. This town is Santa FEE.
They also don’t serve beer or wine, but you are welcome to bring your own.
I promise you that if you go to Papa Boudreaux’s, you too will be silenced momentarily while you are totally emerged in some of the best food that has ever been created. This is real cookin’ and we did some real eatin’.
And, yes, they do cater. If you have a party and use them to cater, please invite me!