What started as a quest to find a yummy vegan queso recipe for nachos led to a whole new recipe that can be a dip (with half the calories of hummus), a soup, and a sauce for pasta. I’ve even added it to scrambled eggs with great results. What does one call such a recipe? We’re not sure, but it’s delicious and easy to make. We’re going with Cauliflower Queso as the name!
This recipe is mainly made up of cauliflower and cashews with a heavy dose of spices and add-ins, and it makes quite a bit (11 cups!), but you can freeze it easily. You’ll need a high-powered blender to get the smooth results I recommend, but other than the ingredients, a large pan, and then a large pot, that’s all the equipment you’ll need.
This one basic recipe will allow you to make: a vegan/plant-based “queso,” cauliflower soup, and a pasta sauce.
This recipe does not take too long to make, but you will get a few things dirty: pot, pan, cutting board, blender. And, you’ll need to have some storage containers on hand as this recipe makes a lot: 11-12 cups.
Cauliflower Vegan Dip/Soup/Sauce
- 1 yellow onion cut up
- 1 fresh jalapeno cut up
- 3 garlic cloves cut up
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 40 oz riced cauliflower (Green Giant makes a large 40 oz bag of frozen Riced Cauliflower)
- 1.5 cups raw cashews
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp white miso
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 cup Simple Truth Organic™ Gluten Free Non-Dairy Sour Cream (You can find this at Kroger)
Sautee with olive oil the cut-up onion, jalapeno, and garlic until soft, about 5-6 minutes.
- Transfer cooked vegetables to a large stockpot and add all ingredients except the vegan sour cream. Bring to a soft boil for 20 minutes.
- Work with two batches to blend in a high-powered blender. For each batch, add 1/2 cup of Simple Truth vegan sour cream (available at Kroger). Blend on low for 3 minutes and then on high for 7 more minutes. This provides a really creamy sauce.
- To make this into a soup, use 2/3 portion of this sauce and 1/3 water (or broth).
- To use this as a dip, serve with chips and top with pico, fresh jalapenos, and finishing salt.
If you are interested in more plant-based recipes, check out: Two Easy Vegan Recipes We Recommend.
Find even more delicious recipes in our archives. Click HERE!