Just in time for Spring Break, we are re-publishing some popular cocktail recipes, each 200 calories or less. Perfect no matter where your next few weeks find you: at home or away.
Here are the recipes, to be made by the pitcher. The pictures included today are from a party we originally hosted to taste test these creations.
Modified from a cocktail served at The Lantern in Chapel Hill, NC.
- 2 parts lemon soda to 1 part Pimms 44 (I used 1.5 liters of lemon soda and .75 liters of Pimms)
- Pureed fresh ginger. The amount I used for the above mix was 1/3 cup.
- Mix in a pitcher and let the flavors meld for at least an hour (best for 4 hours) in the refrigerator.
- Serve over ice and garnish with chopped cucumber
- 3 cups Pomegranate Juice
- 3 cups white rum
- 1 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup Agave Nectar
- large handful of mint leaves, pounded to release essence
- Mix ingredients in a pitcher. Add mint leaves and any lime rinds from squeezing and steep for at least 1 hour, but 4 hours is best.
- Remove mint and lime from pitcher and serve over ice with a splash of club soda
- Garnish with mint
- 4 oz. Tequila
- 2 oz. Triple Sec OR Cointreau
- 3 cups grapefruit juice
- Fresh squeezed lime juice is optional. A cup of lime juice only has about 60 calories so adding to the mix lowers the calorie count per 6 oz. volume.
- For a pitcher (1.5 cups tequila, 3/4 cup Cointreau, 9 cups grapefruit juice)
- Salt rim and garnish with both a slice of grapefruit and lime.
We called this next one the “Lethal”:
- 2 cups Tequila
- 1 cup St. Germaine Liqueur
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- Mix and serve 4 oz. as a sipping drink ice cold. You will need to sprinkle sea salt over the top to counteract the tartness. With salt, very tasty.
So, do you want to know my favorite? The June Bug. Elizabeth’s favorite was also my husband’s favorite: the Pomegranate Mojito. Her husband David’s favorite was the Grapefruit Margarita. We all liked the Lethal as well, but it seemed more like a Friday night drink – even the name – not a Sunday evening gathering for drinks, which this was! For the most part, the ladies chose the June Bug for top honors and the men, the Pomegranate Mojito.