This is my go-to turkey burger recipe for everything from weekday family dinners to neighborhood cookouts. Crushed tortilla chips take the place of bread crumbs, and a little chili powder gives them that crowd pleasing Southwestern touch.
These are super simple to make and can be cooked on the stovetop or grill. I like less clean up so I use my grill year round, rain or shine.
Preheat grill, if using. Mix chili powder, salt, pepper and egg together. Next, add in the crushed tortilla chips and the ground turkey. Mix with your hands until thoroughly combined. Shape into patties and spray lightly with olive oil. Toss ’em on the grill or in the pan and cook about 6 minutes a side until cooked through. Serve with pepper jack cheese, avocado and salsa or mayo mixed with a little Tlish Chipotle Vinaigrette.
Super Easy & Delicious Southwest Turkey Burgers
- 1 lb package ground turkey
- 1 egg – slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 slices pepper jack cheese
- 1 package hamburger buns – toasted
- 1 large avocados – halved peeled, and sliced
- lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup salsa or mayo spiked with T. Lish Chipotle Vinaigrette
- In a medium bowl stir together egg, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Add tortilla chips and turkey; mix well. Mixture will be wet and sticky. Shape turkey mixture into 6 half-inch thick patties.
- In a large non-stick skillet or on a preheated grill, cook burger patties for about 5 - 6 minutes on each side – until golden brown and cooked through. Top with cheese immediately.
- Serve burgers on toasted buns; top with avocado slices, lettuce, and salsa or T. Lish spiked mayo.
- ￼*** Kid friendly alternative: Substitute Monterey Jack cheese for Pepper Jack cheese.