After Katrina, Keith and Nealy Frentz, who met while working as sous chefs at Brennan’s Restaurant, moved to Keith’s hometown of Covington to their own restaurant. LOLA, which quickly became a Covington staple, showcases the knowledge the gained from Brennan’s and their love of all things local. LOLA sits in the city’s historic train depot and the kitchen in an actual train caboose. It is in this kitchen they craft dishes that impress. One local favorite is the hot mess sandwich with Chiesi ham, house pimento cheese, lettuce, tomato, house pickles on pressed white focaccia. While their pimento cheese is delicious when served on a sandwich, it can also be enjoyed on a cracker — or a spoon.
- 1 lb. mild shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 oz. softened cream cheese
- 2 red bell peppers roasted, peeled & minced
- 2 tbsp. cup mayonnaise
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- ½ small onion minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ tbsp. hot sauce
- ½ tbsp. Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. dry yellow mustard
- Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl. Mix until incorporated.
- Chill and serve.
Headshots provided by Bread & Butter PR