These carnivore-approved pulled “pork” sandwiches are just like the real deal. With tangy BBQ sauce, delectable spices and chewy oyster mushrooms, they’re guaranteed to send your taste buds soaring!
Oyster mushrooms? We have so many questions. This Chinese delicacy is not only the perfect “meat” for this sandwich, but has a wide range of health benefits as well. Oyster mushrooms are jam-packed with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and have strong anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial benefits. If that’s not enough, they’re also extremely low in calories! You can purchase these powerhouses at an Asian market or your local Whole Foods.
It may seem like there are too many mushrooms at first, but don’t worry — like spinach, they cook down. SB TIP: Smother these already amazing sandwiches with Hampton Creek JUST Ranch for an extra punch of flavor. This part is highly encouraged and definitely our favorite addition to this finger licking good BBQ delight! These can be made the night before, but they are at their best if made the day of.
SB verdict: These pulled pork sandwiches are killer … without the kill.
Plant-Based Powerhouse Pulled 'Pork' Sandwiches
- 2 heads of Oyster mushrooms
- 1 cup of your choice of BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 6 hamburger buns of your choice
- 1 small red onion optional
- Slice oyster mushrooms into strips to resemble pulled pork.
- Coat pan in your choice of oil and on medium-high heat, sauteé the mushrooms, onion, garlic and chipotle powder. Sauteé mushrooms until they shrink and begin to look translucent. After about four minutes, add in the BBQ sauce and sauteé until most moisture is gone and the mushrooms are caramelized. You may need to turn the heat up to high.
- Break out your buns and place the delicious mushrooms on your burger. Top with optional red onion and JUST ranch.