Chef Kat Gordon of Muddy’s Bake Shop in Memphis, TN
“Pecan Pie is such a staple of Southern baking! It’s so flavorful — the toasted nuts, buttery pie crust, gooey brown butter and brown sugar filling — YUM,” says Chef Kat Gordon of Muddy’s Bake Shop in Memphis, TN. The recipe she shared with us is the one she makes at home for her dad. “It’s based on the one we make at Muddy’s but with a twist,” she explains of this at-home version of her popular Shady Wake Pecan Pie. For the best pecan pie, Kat recommends using a really good buttery crust and toasting the pecans before adding them to the filling. To make it an extra special treat for your guests, serve it with bourbon-spiked whipped cream.
Pecan Pie with a Twist
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup dark Karo syrup
- ½ cup butter
- 3 eggs beaten in heat proof bowl
- 2 cups chopped and lightly toasted pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons good whisky
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 10-inch shell, unbaked (a deep dish 8 or 9" will work too)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Stirring constantly, cook the sugars, syrup, and butter over medium-high heat until it just comes to boil.
- Pour the hot mixture slowly into the eggs, beating all the while. If you quickly dump the hot mixture into the eggs, the eggs will cook and clump! Do this SLOWLY!
- Stir in the pecans, vanilla, whisky, and salt.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell.
- Bake about 40 to 50 minutes. The pie should jiggle but not slosh.
- Let cool all the way before serving. This is delicious when served a bit of homemade whipped cream.
Boozy Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla use pure, not imitation!
- 1 teaspoon bourbon
- Combine the ingredients in a bowl and beat (use a mixer or whisk) vigorously for several minutes until soft peaks form.
- Then spoon a dollop onto each slice!
- Pro tip: Use a glass or metal bowl and wipe down with a paper towel sprinkled with lemon juice or vinegar to remove any oily residue. Residue will deflate your whipped cream.
For more recipes from Southern chefs, check out our recipe archives!