Beet Salad with Candied Orange Rind and Marcona Almonds
Chef Katie Button
Cúrate, Asheville, North Carolina
“I love this salad because you take whole oranges, cut them into segments, rind and all, and then cook them in a simple syrup and vinegar mixture with spices. The result is an edible delicious rind that is tart with acidity and spice. When you pair that with roasted beets, Marcona almonds, and a hard-aged cheese, the result is magical. I think it’s the perfect vegetable side for Thanksgiving dinner and pair so well with a light-bodied red wine that you might serve with roasted turkey. The leftover candied orange rind is also delicious served over ice cream or as a fall/wintry accompaniment to a cheeseboard. The earthy-sweet flavor of the roasted beets is complimented so well with the fatty creaminess of Marcona almonds, a funkier hard aged cheese, and the slightly sweet/sour orange rind,” Chef Katie says.
- 3 medium beets (1 pound), preferably 1 each red, gold, Chioggia
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 orange, peel and pith removed, segments cut out
- 4 segments Candied Oranges cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 ounces aged Manchego cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- ½ cup coarsely chopped roasted and salted Marcona almonds
- 1 (5-ounce) package mixed greens
- 1 orange
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon minced shallot
- ½ teaspoon of honey
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- To make the salad, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Peel and cut the beets into 1-inch chunks, keeping the colors separate on different large sheets of foil. Toss each pile of beets with 1 teaspoon oil and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Wrap each mound of beets in the foil to create packets. Place the packets on a half-sheet pan and roast until the beets are tender, 40 to 50 minutes. Unwrap and cool to room temperature.
- While the beets roast, make the vinaigrette: Zest one-quarter of the orange into a large bowl, then squeeze in 1 ½ tablespoons orange juice. Whisk in the lemon juice, shallot, honey, and salt. Slowly pour in the oil in a steady stream while whisking vigorously.
- Add the cooled beets, orange segments, candied orange, cheese, almonds, and greens to the bowl with the vinaigrette. Gently toss with your hands until well-mixed. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
For your daily dose of StyleBlueprint sent straight to your inbox every morning, click HERE!