Kathryn and Duff Berschback know houses: they’ve lived in 5 houses in the past 15 years. With each move, they have honed their tastes, and after living in both traditional and modern homes, they realized their true desire was to keep a modern point of view, pare down and live where dinner and shopping were within walking distance.
With older kids, they wanted a comfortable house that beckoned impromptu gatherings. What they didn’t want was a house filled with unused space. Unbelievably, they closed on an empty lot in July of 2012, and by Christmas the same year, they had finished construction and moved in! Kathryn, always fond of home design, took on the project as a full-time job and in the process discovered a sincere interest in the subject. She is now enrolled at O’More College of Design, in Franklin, TN, and is pursing a degree. If this house is any indication, a strong client list will be lining up!
And, if you want to know the house that inspired Kathryn the most during this process, it’s Rachel Zoe’s home. Glamor and modern sensibilities rolled into one. We’ll provide a link to this home in ‘resources’ at the end of this post.
All photos today were taken by Wiff Harmer.
Imagine living here and walking for coffee, meals, shopping and even to the park. Pretty ideal, huh?
Thank you Kathryn and Duff for sharing your inspiring home with us today.
Special thanks to the amazing Wiff Harmer for the stunning images of the Berschback home. To see more of Wiff’s work, click here.
- Furniture, lighting and art from Epiphany (they also offer design services): www.epiphanynashville.com
- Furniture and lighting from Mitchell Gold: www.mgbwhome.com
- Accents and lighting from Overstock.com: www.overstock.com
- Paint colors: listed in captions throughout. All are Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams
- Decorative Painting: Wright Decorative Finishes
- The flowers were provided by A Village of Flowers: www.avillageofflowers.net
- Dennis Wile photography: www.denniswile.com
- Rachel Zoe’s house: www.instyle.com