Your favorite summer cocktail is here! That’s no exaggeration … at least I’m hoping your tastebuds mimic mine enough to love this cocktail as much as I do.
What is up with watermelon this year? This is the tastiest batch of watermelons I can recall. And, as so many have invested in deep freezers, I suggest taking advantage of these watermelons and freezing a whole lot of them. That way, whenever a hankering for one of these cocktails comes over you — and come over you it will — you’ll have all the ingredients ready to go. The worst thing would be to want one of these and kick yourself for not having frozen more watermelon!
SB Note: We’ve also included a playlist at the end of this article to listen to while drinking these margaritas if you are so inclined!
Alrighty, in all seriousness, this cocktail is superb. You only need cubed, frozen watermelon (I just buy mine pre-cut at Kroger in the clamshell … I know this is lazy, but I’m not a fan of cutting large watermelons. It’s a family disagreement in my household!), tequila (I used the TC Craft Reposado, but I suggest Milagro as well), fresh mint and lime. You’ll need a high powered blender as well. You will NOT need to add any ice or water or sweetener or anything else.
If you buy pre-cut watermelon, a medium clamshell container is the perfect size to empty into a gallon-size freezer Ziploc bag. The key is to fill the bag and then make sure that all the watermelon is laying flat; squeeze out the excess air. Then, lay it flat in your freezer (you may need to lay the bag on a cookie sheet if you do not have an empty shelf).
After at least four hours of freezing time, your watermelon is ready to make into a drink! You’ll use 2/3 of the bag to make three cocktails. This means I like to freeze TWO bags at a time. Why? Well, these are so good, and when I’m making one for my husband and myself, I make enough for three. We drink two and then split the third serving. So, with two bags of frozen margaritas, that’s three nights of cocktails for you and a friend!
From here, you simply empty 2/3 of the bag into your high-powered blender. Add 1/2 cup TC Craft Reposado tequila, the juice of two limes, and 8-10 mint leaves. Let it blend for about a minute so that it is really smooth. If you can’t find TC Craft, ask your liquor store for a good reposado tequila. I do think that flavor works better with this recipe, but you can always fall back to tequila blanco.
Voila! That’s it. Serve with a straw, or a spoon, or simply sip as it melts.
The Best Watermelon Margarita, Frozen with Mint
Frozen Watermelon Margarita with Mint
- 20 cubes of watermelon probably 3 cups
- 1/2 cup tequila
- Juice from two limes
- 8-10 large leaves of mint
- I prefer the pre-cut watermelon you buy in a clamshell at your grocery store. I typically shop Kroger because they underwrite our recipes, and they have really good house brands. If you buy pre-cut watermelon, a medium clamshell container exactly fills a gallon-size freezer Ziploc bag. Otherwise, buy a watermelon and cut it up into about 1.5-inch cubes.
- Fill the gallon freezer bag and then make sure that all the watermelon is laying flat; squeeze out the excess air. Lay it flat in your freezer for at least four hours to freeze. You may need to place it on a cookie sheet inside your freezer.
- Use 2/3 of the bag to make three cocktails (about 20 watermelon cubes). Why three cocktails? Because one cocktail is not enough, and two is a little too much for me! I typically make these for me and a friend.
- Add frozen watermelon into a high-powered blender. Add 1/2 cup TC Craft Reposado tequila (or reposado tequila of your choice), the juice of two limes, and 8-10 mint leaves. Let it blend for about a minute so that it is really smooth.
- Serve immediately. You may want to serve with a spoon or a straw as it's pretty thick ... and oh-so-delicious!
Again, these are really great. I don’t like really sweet drinks, but this one … perhaps it’s because it’s sweet without added sugar … it’s just so dang good!
Women’s Empowerment Playlist
For a playlist to enjoy if you are drinking this with girlfriends, or just singing out loud to yourself. We asked our SB Team for songs they thought of with the theme “Empowering Women,” and this is our collection. We hope this inspires you to add to it for your own playlist, or start afresh with a new crop of songs, but make a point to lift each other up — it’s tough out there.
August 2020 marks the 100th anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment. Women, let’s all make a point to use our right to vote this year, and every year! August also means that it’s time to embark upon an interesting new school year with women everywhere gearing up to do what is needed — which, for many, means changing everything to make sure their kids are getting the education they deserve. We know men are stepping up also, but we also know that this is still predominantly falling on women. With that in mind, we’re here to say, ladies, you’ve got this!
Make this amazing margarita, throw this playlist on repeat, and soak in all of the positive vibes sung by and written for women! We’re behind you all the way!
Find more amazing and flavorful recipes in our archives. Click HERE!