From cookie swaps to cocktail parties, the holiday season is studded with events that may demand more from your daily makeup routine. In order to solve these beauty woes, we’ve enlisted the help of cosmetic experts from Woo Skincare + Cosmetics and Private Edition along with a fabulous product from Shine Salon.
We sent our main writers for SB Nashville, Liza Graves, Elizabeth Fox, Anna Marchetti and Alex Hendrickson, to each featured business to show us how to apply some of their favorite products that take you from day to night, whether you are a blonde, brunette or somewhere in-between. For makeup for the holidays, these fool-proof techniques will leave you runway-ready in no time!
And, remember that both Woo Skincare + Cosmetics (615-383-2170) and Private Edition (615-292-8606) can do your makeup for any occasion. Just call ahead and make an appointment.
First we sent Anna and Elizabeth, both brunettes with olive complexions and brown eyes, to Private Edition to find some products perfect for their mutual skin tones.
For Elizabeth’s daytime look:
Here’s how to get the look in eight easy steps:
- After cleansing and priming face, apply Omorovicza Budapest Illuminating Moisturizer.
- Apply By Terry Hydraulic Hydra-Primer evenly over face.
- Apply Omorovicza Budapest Complexion Perfector BB in Medium.
- Apply By Terry Touche Veloutee Concealer 3 in Beige beneath eyes.
- Apply Therapy Systems Eye Primer in Music Row to the entire lid.
- Apply By Terry Shadow Stick in Bronze Moon to the corner of the eyes.
- Apply By Terry Black Print eyeliner to the lash line.
- Apply By Terry Mascara “Terrybly” with growth boosters, in black, to top and bottom lashes.
Now, for Anna’s daytime look:
Here’s how to get the look in 10 easy steps:
- After cleansing face, apply Therapy Systems Beauty Booster Cream.
- Apply Laura Mercier Cashew Smooth Finish Foundation with a blender brush evenly over face.
- Apply Trish McEvoy Dual Resort Bronzer to forehead, cheeks and neck.
- Apply Trish McEvoy Perfect Plum Cheek Color to the apple of your cheeks.
- Next, apply Trish McEvoy Instant Gel Eye Liner (Black) in a thin line along your lashes.
- Apply Trish McEvoy Ballet Pink Eye Shadow to your lids.
- Apply Trish McEvoy Deep Aubergine Eye Shadow to the creases of your lid.
- After curling lids, apply Trish McEvoy Dramatic lash mascara to your top and bottom lashes.
- Set brows in place with The Trish McEvoy Perfect Brow Wax Pencil
- Finish the look with a swipe of Trish McEovy Irresistible Gloss.
Here’s how to elevate the look for nighttime events:
- Add Trish McEvoy Glamorous Eye Shadow Stick to lid and lash line.
- Add Trish McEvoy Liquid Eye Liner to top lash line.
- Add Trish McEvoy Perfect Plum Lip Color to lips and re-apply gloss.
Here’s how to elevate Elizabeth’s look for nighttime:
- Apply By Terry Hydra Bronzing Tinted Serum in Exotic Bronze evenly over face.
- Apply By Terry Eyeshadow in Bronze Moon.
- Apply By Terry Brow Pencil in Ash Brown to define brows.
- Apply to By Terry Lip Pencil in Perfect Nude.
- Apply By Terry Lip Balm in Toffee to lips to add sheen.
Meanwhile, Alex and Liza, both blonde with blue eyes, headed to Woo Skincare + Cosmetics to find products that would work for both of them. They had the exact same products applied to each of them, so if your coloring matches these two, this is your list to buy!
For this look:
- After cleansing face and moisturizing, apply Jane Iredale Smooth Affair as your primer.
- Add Hydrating Eye Cream by Bobbi Brown.
- With a Beauty Blender, apply Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation in Warm Ivory (it comes in a stick). This medium coverage foundation can quickly be built to full coverage, so use as heavily or as sparingly as you need.
- For circles under eyes, apply both Armani Corrector #1 and Armani High Precision Retouch #2. Blend with a concealer brush.
- Add Jane Iredale SO Bronzer 2 to checks, temples, chin, bridge of nose.
- Use long-wear Eye Base by Bobbi Brown as eyeshadow primer on eyelids.
- Use Bobbi Brown Warm Eye Palette, using the darkest brown as your eyeliner to line your upper lid.
- For mascara, use Armani Multi-Benefit in black.
- For lips, use the sheer Aerin lip balm in rose as the base with Jane Iredale’s Snow Berry on top (it adds some subtle sparkle).
- For brows, use Chantecaille brow definer in ash blonde.
Take this look from day to night by adding:
- Add long wear gel eyeliner in black scotch by Bobbi Brown.
- Add more shadow from the Bobbi Brown Warm Eye Palette (that you already have from the day look).
- Switch out lip color with Chantecaille Lip Banner in Desire and Chantecaille Brilliant Gloss in Glamour.
Finally, all met up at Shine Salon as this is where FACE atelier is sold, a makeup line that makeup artists love. The Seared Berry lipstick is perfect for all skin tones (including the abundance of skin tones missing from this photo below!) and makes for that perfect new lipstick that you know you are wanting to purchase!
FACE atelier also makes a product called Lip Lock that seals your lipstick and makes it smudge proof for any event — pretty amazing!
These four SB staffers are blondes and brunettes with fair to medium skin tones. If you fall somewhere in between (perhaps your skin tone is fair and freckled, caramel, or dark), we asked the beauty experts at Woo Skincare + Cosmetics to gather some of their favorite products for more skin tones.
If you have fair skin, a rosy complexion or red hair, try these products:
- Bobbi Brown Porcelain Skin Foundation Stick
- Bobbi Brown Carolina Lip Sheer
- Bobbi Brown Warm Glow Eye Palette
If you have caramel coloring, try these products:
- Chantecaille Future Skin in Wheat
- Chantecaille Luminous Gloss in Mulberry
- Chantecaille Le Chrome Lux Eye Duo in Grand Canal
If you have deep skin tones, try these products:
- Jane Iredale Mineral Foundation in Maple
- Jane Iredale Gloss in Crabapple
- Jane Iredale Eye Palette in Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
To see more of our favorite places to shop for beauty and cosmetics, visit the SB Guide!