Memphis’ original prime steakhouse, Folk’s Folly, celebrates 44 years in business this year. In celebration of this milestone, we’re sharing the recipe for its famous she-crab soup. A classic mainstay on the restaurant’s menu, this dish is equal parts decadent and creamy and includes lumps of crabmeat and hints of sherry. And if you’re looking to make your own prime steak dinner at home, this dish serves as the perfect starter! (Plus, it’s exactly what we need right now as we watch the surrounding snow and ice roll in.)
SB NOTE: To get started, you’ll need concentrated seafood stock. While you can purchase this from your local grocery store, we’ve also included a recipe for Folk’s Folly’s crab stock if you wish to make your own.
Folk's Folly Crab Stock
- 4-6 cups crab shells
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 large yellow onion sliced or chopped
- 1 carrot roughly sliced or chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Several sprigs of fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 10-15 whole peppercorns
- 2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place crab shells in a large roasting pan and roast in oven for 10 minutes.
- Transfer roasted shells to a large stockpot; add water to cover shells, plus one inch (but no more than one inch).
- On medium-high heat, slowly heat shells until tiny bubbles appear. Reduce heat to medium. Do not let water boil; maintain just below a simmer.
- Place the thyme, bay leaf, and parsley in cheesecloth; secure cheesecloth with kitchen twine to make a bouquet garni.
- Add wine, onions, carrots, celery, bouquet garni, and peppercorns. Reduce heat and maintain a low simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain stock through a fine-mesh strainer; discard solids. Use stock right away, or cool and freeze for future use.
Folk's Folly She-Crab Soup
- 5 oz lump crabmeat
- 2½ cups heavy cream
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups Folk's Folly crab stock or concentrated seafood stock
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- Parsley to garnish
- In a large pot over low heat, melt butter and sauté minced garlic. Stirring constantly, add flour and cook to form a light brown roux.
- Stir in crab stock and heavy cream; bring to a boil and simmer until well-blended.
- Stir in lump crabmeat; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and add dry sherry. Serve garnished with parsley.
Not quite warmed up yet? Here are three more delicious soup recipes:
The Best Tomato Soup Recipe EVER! (And Only 4 Ingredients!)
Nothing says comfort food quite like a piping hot bowl of tomato soup. This version puts an elevated twist on the classic dish.
Insanely Delicious Lentil & Sausage Soup
This lentil and sausage soup is the perfect low-maintenance weeknight meal. Plus, you can make it vegetarian-friendly by leaving out the meat and using vegetable broth.
Chicken Tortilla & Rice Soup
This chicken tortilla and rice soup is an oldie but goodie and is full of vegetables, fiber and protein. Plus, it does not include oil, added fat, wheat or dairy.
Here’s to warmer days ahead!
For more delicious recipes, visit our archives!