Pimento cheese is the perfect Southern staple for fall. It’s great for tailgating, school events, family gatherings and holiday parties. And I should know, as I literally wrote the book on it: Pimento Cheese the Cookbook: 50 Recipes from Snacks to Main Dishes Inspired by the Classic Southern Favorite.
Everyone should learn to make pimento cheese at home, so below you’ll find a recipe for one of my favorite versions. Making pimento cheese from scratch isn’t difficult, and it’s so worth the effort!
Barbecue Pimento Cheese Recipe
With all the recipes I have developed for pimento cheese, maybe I shouldn’t have a favorite, but if I had to pick, this one is probably it. This Memphis iteration of pimento cheese is redolent with the smoky spices we love on our pork. Try it on some hearty crackers — or melted on top of a pulled pork sandwich.
Barbecue Pimento Cheese
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces naturally smoked cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions white and some green parts, finely diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 4-ounce jar diced pimentos, rinsed and drained
- Mix all the spices together until thoroughly blended.
- Grate the cheeses together into a large bowl and toss together to combine. Add the green onions and toss again. I find my clean, dry hands the best tool for this. In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise with 2 tablespoons of the spice mix and stir until completely incorporated. Stir the mayonnaise into the cheese mixture until everything is well blended and all the cheese is coated. Stir in the pimentos until they are evenly distributed throughout the mix.
- Chill the pimento cheese, covered, in the fridge for at least 2 hours to let the flavors meld. This will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
- Makes 1 pound
- There will be some spice blend leftover. Keep it in an airtight container and sprinkle it over hamburgers, steak or, my favorite, popcorn.
Want more pimento cheese recipes? We have another fantastic recipe, made with homemade green pepper sauce, that gets RAVE reviews. It’s called, simply, The Best Pimento Cheese Recipe. You’ve gotta try it!
Hungry for more great recipes and the dish on Memphis restaurants? Subscribe to StyleBlueprint and you’ll always have your fill!