March in Louisville means spring is right around the corner, Derby season is amping up, and everyone makes it clear whether they bleed red or blue (March Madness, anyone?). But March also means amazing events in Louisville. For this edition of What to Wear, we’ve chosen Bluegrass, Bourbon and BBQ, the Humana Festival of New American Plays, the Kentucky Derby Festival Fashion Show, the 2018 Speed Art Museum Ball and a surprise bonus event that is for the dogs – literally.
We’ve pulled together looks for these events from a few of our favorite local boutiques – Work the Metal, Liv Boutique, 6pm Outlet and Peacock Boutique. Each fabulous ensemble, styled by Shannon Kessler of Primp Style Lounge, is modeled by some faces you might recognize: Catherine Kung of @TheSouthernGloss, Allison Lewis of @Absolutely_Alli, Nicole Green of @WhatNicoleWore and Jasmine Gazelle, cofounder of Intrigue HQ. These models are gorgeous, talented and influential, but the real stars of this shoot are the adorable and adoptable puppies from the Kentucky Humane Society. The following events are not pup-friendly, but that doesn’t mean your pet can’t look good too!
The Event: Bluegrass, Bourbon & BBQ
- March 2, 2018
- The event begins at 6:30 p.m.
- The Ice House
- Tickets are $55.
- For more information, visit app.etapestry.com.
If you love all things Kentucky, you’ll love Bluegrass, Bourbon & BBQ! It’s a fun, casual evening of live bluegrass music, delicious food and samplings from a variety of local barbecue vendors and bourbon distilleries, including Mark’s Feed Store, Four Roses and Buffalo Trace. Tickets include one drink ticket, all bourbon and barbecue tastings and a buffet of heavy hors d’oeuvres. Extra drink tickets will be sold as well. Attendees can also look forward to silent and live auctions that will benefit the Summit Academy, an independent nonprofit school for children with learning disabilities.
What to Wear: This event is all about keeping it casual. A festival with bourbon and barbecue calls for a comfortable yet stylish look. We love a simple dress with a few bold accessories. Here are the looks our stylist, Shannon Kessler, picked for this event.
The Event: Humana Festival of New American Plays
- Through April 8, 2018
- Showtimes vary daily.
- Actors Theatre of Louisville
- Prices vary based on ticket packages.
- For more information, visit actorstheatre.org.
We love a good show, which is why we’re so excited about the Humana Festival of New American Plays! Since Actors Theatre started its internationally famous festival, over 450 plays have been brought to life right here in our city, going on to receive awards and their place in the American — and international — theater pantheon. Theater lovers, journalists and stage and film producers from around the world attend this festival alongside local enthusiasts. We couldn’t be more proud to be the home of a world-renowned event that brings 36,000 patrons to our great city to celebrate and grow American theater.
What to Wear: Keep it casual but with a fancy – maybe even dramatic – twist! When going to see a play, we recommend dressing with a purpose. Jeans are great with a beautiful blouse and fun accessories, or you can wear a fashion-forward dress.
- March 29, 2018
- Event begins at 5:30 p.m.
- Showroom, Horseshoe Casino in Southern Indiana
- Tickets start at $35.
- For more information, visit discover.kdf.org.
Hold your horses, Louisville! Derby festivities are officially in full swing. One of our favorites is the Kentucky Derby Festival Fashion Show because it features a runway of the latest styles for spring, as well as Derby outfits from local boutiques. Enjoy cocktails, dinner and a fashion show that is sure to impress and feed your fashionista soul.
What to Wear: We recommend bringing your A-game for this one! Seeing all of the latest Derby fashion is bound to inspire, so wear something that makes you feel like one of the models. We love Shannon’s picks for this event!
- March 3, 2018
- The event is from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.
- Speed Art Museum
- Tickets start at $200.
- For more information, visit speedmuseum.org.
We love galas and the arts, so we’re extra excited about The Speed Art Museum’s Annual Speed Ball. Guests are invited to explore the entire museum and discover the cinema, galleries, exhibitions and site-specific commissions that make the Speed so special. Benefactor tickets are sold out, but “Late Night at the Speed,” which includes drinks, dancing and desserts, will dazzle with visual, culinary, auditory and social delights!
What to Wear: Time to dress to the nines! Attire is white- or black-tie, so you’ll be feeling pretty fancy! This gala is sure to be spectacular, and the gowns Shannon has chosen will make you feel like the belle of the ball.
The Event: March Madness
- March 11 through April 2, 2018
- Watch from the comfort of your own home
Since all of our events this month don’t allow doggies to join in, we thought we’d throw in a little What to Wear action for what we like to call … Bark Madness. Whether your dog yaps at the TV or sleeps in your lap on the couch while your team is playing, we think they should be decked out in sports gear too.
What to Wear: Dress yourself and your pup in anything that screams team pride!
If you’re going to go a little mad, make sure it’s in the month of March!
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
- To our boutiques: Work the Metal, Liv Boutique, 6pm Outlet and Peacock Boutique for providing the perfect looks and accessories.
- To our photographer: Christine Mueller Photography for shooting absolutely breathtaking photos.
- To our stylist extraordinaire: Shannon Kessler from Primp Style Lounge for making our models look incredible.
- To Feeders Supply and Wag N’ Wash Natural Food & Bakery for showing our puppies some love with their March Madness gear and goodies.
- To the Kentucky Humane Society for letting us borrow their sweet dogs for the day.
- And last, but certainly not least, to Catherine Kung of @TheSouthernGloss, Allison Lewis of @Absolutely_Alli, Nicole Green of @WhatNicoleWore and Jasmine Gazelle, cofounder of Intrigue HQ, for being our fabulous models!