Summer gardens are producing copious amounts of tomatoes. If you’re bounty of these glorious summer staples is overflowing, put those maters to good use with some of these delicious tomato recipes. Topping the list? An heirloom tomato pie with bacon marmalade straight from the kitchen of South City Kitchen Vinings in Smyrna, GA. Mouth watering yet?
Heirloom Tomato Pie With Bacon Marmalade
- 12 tart shells, chilled
- 3 oz (1 bunch) scallions, sliced thin
- 1 oz basil leaves, chopped
- 2 lbs heirloom cherry and grape tomatoes cut into halves and quarters
- 5 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 oz grana padano
- 12 oz mayo
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb bacon
- 2 oz molasses
- 1 oz apple cider vinegar
- Mix all ingredients together and divide evenly between the shells.
- Bake at 325 for about 20 minutes, rotate and bake till golden and slightly risen. Crust should be brown. Once slightly cooled remove from tins and chill.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place bacon on a sheet pan and cook in the oven for about 15 min or until just crispy. Remove bacon from oven and drain of any rendered fat. Allow bacon to cool then rough chop the bacon and place into a mixing bowl. Add molasses and vinegar and mix until well incorporated.
More tomato recipes:
Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
Here’s another tasty — and super easy — way to use up an abundance of cherry tomatoes. Twenty minutes in the oven plus some balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and you have a recipe for success. Find the recipe HERE.
Heirloom Tomatoes with Herbed Orzo Salad
This recipe hails from the kitchen of Ashley Tarver, chef and owner of Copper Pot Kitchen in Birmingham, AL. The Mediterranean flavors of this fabulously healthy dish are just light and filling enough for the Southern summer heat. This crowd-pleasing dish embraces the flavors of the season and is usually a hit as a side dish or an appetizer at pool parties and patio gatherings alike.
Pan con Tomate
This recipe is also from Ashley Tarver, who shares that Pan con Tomate is a Spanish-style toast topped with tomato. The savory, creamy notes of the Manchego complement the salty Serrano ham and the fruity sweetness of the bright heirloom tomatoes for a bruschetta-style appetizer that will keep you coming back for more! You’ll find this recipe HERE.
Find more delicious recipes in our archives. CLICK HERE and start planning your next meal!