It’s officially fall and officially time to break out the soup recipes. But, who are we kidding, it’s 90 degrees here today in this the first day of fall. Nevermind, you will enjoy eating this soup all year, as we do. The reason it is so enjoyable is because it takes about 15 minutes to make and makes enough for an army.
Here’s why it is so easy: you just have to brown meat and onion and then open up seven cans and stir. You really just need a can opener and a pot. It does need to cook for a couple hours on low, but it’s definitely a “fix it and forget it” kind of meal. And, it is so good the next day, and the next. This is also called “Seven Can Soup” or “Turkey Chili” in some circles.
Santa Fe Soup
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 2 lbs. ground turkey
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 can tomatoes with chiles
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cans white shoepeg corn
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 2 packets ranch dressing powder mix
- 2 packets taco seasoning mix
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, brown the turkey in olive oil.
- When turkey meat is brown, add the onion and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add all cans (7 in all), including the juice from all cans, the 2 packets of Ranch and the 2 packets of taco seasoning.
- Fill 1 can with water and add to the soup.
- Stir well, turn the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Stir well again, and turn the temperature down to a simmer.
- Cover and continue to stir occasionally for at least 1 hour but 2 hours is best.
- Serve with grated cheese, tortilla chips, cilantro, sour cream, and/or scallions.
- Makes 18 cups and freezes very well.
Here’s a photo montage to help you with your cooking. I promise it is absolutely so easy.
This makes enough for an army I usually freeze half of it in a glass jar and eat on the other half all week. If you are tired of eating it just as a chili, try it as a topping on your baked potatoes or nachos (thereby rendering it completely not healthy!).
Love our recipes and meal ideas? Click here to get inspired on other easy meals and recipes.