This recipe, which comes from Katie Strickland of Katie’s Plates, is part of our “Back to the Table” SB Challenge, where, for three weeks, we feature seven recipes each Sunday and challenge our readers to gather around a home-cooked meal each night. With a food and nutrition degree from Mississippi State University, Katie has realized her passion for sharing healthy and delicious food with those whose busy lifestyles stand in the way of prepping a nutritious dinner. As a nanny, she began prepping healthy dinners for the pickiest of eaters – and they loved them! From there, Katie launched Katie’s Plates, where she creates menus filled with gourmet healthy meals to be delivered to the residents of Nashville, Birmingham and Jacksonville, FL.
While we love Mom’s good ol’ lasagna, we welcome a new take on the dish with open arms. Katie of Katie’s Plates updates this tried and true recipe by using sweet potato slices instead of noodles. We love that the sweet potatoes add a sweet flavor and creamy texture in addition to added nutrients like vitamins A and C. We know you’ll love this dish as much as we do!
- Meat Sauce:
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 1½ TBSP dried basil
- 1½ TBSP onion powder
- 1½ TBSP garlic powder
- 1 TBSP dried parsley
- 1 TBSP oregano
- 1½ tsp dried thyme
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ cup honey
- 10 oz thawed frozen spinach
- 2 cups cashews
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 large or 4 small sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into ⅛ inch rounds
- 3 cups dairy-free mozzarella cheese
- Brown the ground turkey in a large skillet over MEDIUM and drain any excess oil. Add meat back to pan with the remaining ingredients for the meat sauce. Stir and simmer over LOW until ready to layer the lasagna.
- Add thawed and drained spinach to a bowl. Set aside.
- Add cashews, lemon juice, water, and salt to a food processor or high-power blender. Pulse until very smooth. Add to the spinach along with the nutmeg and mix well.
- Spread a thin layer of meat sauce on the bottom of a 9x12 inch casserole pan. Place half the sweet potato slices on top and sprinkle with salt. Add ½ the spinach mixture and spread out over the entire surface of sweet potatoes. Top with 1 cup cheese. Repeat layers once and finish off with the last bit of meat sauce and remaining cup of cheese. Bake at 400°F for 45-60 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender and cheese is melted.
For more Katie’s Plates recipes that are part of this challenge, see the recipes below in “More Articles You’ll Love.”