This recipe is straight from McKel Hill, MS, RDN, LDN, Dietitian and founder of Nutrition Stripped, and it’s part of our “Back to the Table” SB Challenge, where we feature seven recipes each Sunday, for three weeks, and challenge our readers to gather around a home-cooked meal each night! At Nutrition Stripped, McKel encourages meal planning as a simple way to take the guesswork out of healthy eating, so much that she created the Guide to Master Meal Planning. By setting aside a “batch cooking day,” you can make enough food to include in meals throughout the entire week, which comes in handy when life gets in the way. These recipes are geared toward meal prep in their versatility; you can make them ahead of time, then just add your toppings, dressings and fresh components when it’s time to enjoy. Bonus: they all keep well in air-tight glass containers.
We don’t know about you, but we could celebrate “Taco Tuesday” every day! With McKel’s recipe for these black bean and quinoa taco lettuce wraps, you can indulge every day of the week without feeling a bit of remorse. She says these tacos are “full of fiber, protein, healthful fats and everything you need to satisfy that taco craving with a healthier touch thanks to the black beans.”
She adds that if you’re looking for a little additional protein, you can always add a little grilled fish, shrimp, chicken, etc., to round out the dish. Her philosophy is to feed your own body what it craves and needs!
See the original recipe on Nutrition Stripped RIGHT HERE.
Recipe: Black Bean and Quinoa Taco Lettuce Wraps
- 1 cup quinoa cooked
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- Pinch of sea salt and black pepper adjust to taste
- 1, 15 ounce can black beans
- 1 cup organic sweet corn if frozen, then thaw
- 1 cup thinly sliced bell peppers if frozen, then thaw
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Juice of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 head of Butter Leaf lettuce
- Garnish options: fresh cilantro sliced jalapeño, diced tomato, avocado
- Cook quinoa to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, add coconut oil, sea salt, black pepper, onions, and garlic and cook for 8 minutes or until fragrant. Add in cooked quinoa, rinsed beans, corn, and peppers until warm. Stir in taco seasoning, juice of lime, and lemon. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Next, take one washed and dry butter leaf and dollop the quinoa mixture in the center, fill with optional garnishes and wrap edges of the butter leaf onto itself as a handheld wrap. Enjoy immediately.
- Store leftover filling in an airtight glass container and assemble upon serving.
For more Nutrition Stripped recipes that are part of this challenge, see the recipes below in “More Articles You’ll Love.”