Need a meal that you can cook super quick mid-week and is a twist on a favorite? Did I mention easy to clean up after as well? Nah, you don’t need such a recipe do you … Ha! Now that our giggles are behind us imagining a life we don’t have, let’s talk super easy recipes.
First, pick up pre-sliced onions and peppers. I get mine at Kroger (the ones wrapped in plastic wrap found in the refrigerated wall of the produce section). From here, I mince them even smaller. You end up with about 2 cups divided into 1/3 red bell pepper, 1/3 onion and 1/3 green bell pepper. You’ll also need two cans of Goya black beans, one can of Goya chick peas, one Old El Paso taco seasoning packet (or 4 tablespoons of our homemade taco seasoning mix, which is the preferable way to go), one can of Ortega spicy diced green chili peppers, bagged frozen brown rice and shredded cheddar cheese.
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease or olive oil
- 2/3 cup minced yellow onion
- 2/3 cup minced red bell pepper
- 2/3 cup minced green bell pepper
- (2) 15 oz cans Goya black beans (drained)
- (1) 15 oz can Goya chick peas (drained)
- 4 tablespoons homemade Mexican seasoning (or one pouch Old El Paso mild taco seasoning)
- (1) 4.5 oz can Ortega fire-roasted spicy diced green chilis (or mild if you don't like spicy dishes)
- Shredded cheddar cheese (you know how much you'll want!)
- Your favorite rice. I like the frozen brown rice for mid-week meals.
- Garnish with herbs, green onions, chopped tomatoes ... sour cream ... whatever you would like!
- I start with bacon grease, but feel free to make this vegetarian and use olive oil. Warm oil over a medium-high heat in a large skillet. Once hot, pour in minced vegetables and cook until soft (about 12 minutes). Then add diced green chilis and taco seasoning mix, as well as drained canned beans. Cooked for 5 minutes longer, and then salt and pepper to personal taste. At the same time you add the beans to your skillet, place your bagged and frozen brown rice in the microwave as it takes about 4-5 minutes to cook.
- CAREFULLY open bag(s) of brown rice and place on a serving plate. Top with beans mixture. Then add shredded cheese on top.
- If you would like to garnish with green onions, that would be really pretty!
Take this recipe and turn it into whatever suits your fancy. For suggestions: add fresh okra, fresh corn, chopped tomatoes or kale. Or add meat like tasso ham, sausage or chicken. See? This recipe is a springboard for so much more … Keep these common ingredients on hand, and make this into an ongoing weeknight meal. We all need super easy meals, right?
Oh, want another suggestion? Add a fried egg on top for a hearty breakfast! So, now we’ve covered breakfast, lunch and dinner with this one recipe.
For more recipes, see our recipe archives HERE.