The following excerpt and recipe were reprinted with permission from the forthcoming cookbook release, Beach House Dinners: Simple, Summer-Inspired Meals for Entertaining Year-Round by Lei Shishak. Enjoy a coastal escape with this flavorful lobster roll recipe.
If you’re looking for great lobster, Maine is the place to be. There’s a quaint beach town in southern Maine that tourists flock to year in and year out. Old Orchard Beach is located on the inner side of Saco Bay on the Atlantic Ocean. The beach is a seven-mile stretch of sand that seems to go on forever. At Old Orchard Beach, there’s something for everyone. Sunbathe on the beach, venture into the surf, play a game of Frisbee, or shop the cute downtown street lined with charming small businesses. Save time for Palace Playland, an amusement park with arcade games and numerous rides including a Ferris wheel.
And, if you are craving a taste of Old Orchard Beach, but you can’t get there, this recipe is just what you are looking for!
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic peeled and smashed
- 1 fennel stem cut in half
- 4 lobster tails cut in half in shell
- 1 ⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 ⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 ⁄4 cup small-diced fennel stalk
- 4 teaspoons small-diced red onion
- 1 ⁄8 teaspoon celery salt plus more to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- 4 French sandwich rolls I like to use Francisco International French Sandwich Rolls.
- Unsalted butter melted
- To prepare the lobster meat, melt butter in a large-rimmed skillet on low heat. Add the garlic and fennel. When butter reaches 160 to 180°F, add the lobster tails flesh-side down. Poach for 10 minutes, basting the tails occasionally with the butter. Flip tails over and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until the lobster meat reaches 145°F. Let cool.
- Remove cooled meat from tails and cut into small chunks. Place in a large bowl along with the mayonnaise, parsley, fennel, red onion, 1⁄8 teaspoon celery salt, and some lemon juice. Taste for seasoning and adjust to your liking.
- Split the rolls leaving one side intact. Lay flat and toast until golden brown.
- Brush with melted butter and fill with lobster mixture. Serve immediately.
Order Beach House Dinners: Simple, Summer-Inspired Meals for Entertaining Year-Round by Lei Shishak, HERE.
Find more amazing recipes in our archives. Click HERE.