With the kids heading back to school on Monday, it is time to get a game plan going for busy mornings. We all know breakfast is brain food and an essential part of setting kids up for success, but the reality is, it is often hard to feed them something healthy and get them out the door in time for school. While granola bars, cereal and prepackaged breakfast items certainly are easy to grab, most contain lots of added sugar, sodium and artificial yuckiness. With just a little bit of planning and about twenty minutes of your time, these healthy and nutritious breakfast bites can be waiting in your fridge or freezer, ready to reheat in under 2 minutes!
Grab-and-Go Breakfast Bites
- 12 slices of very thinly sliced deli ham or turkey
- 12 large eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon dried mustard
- 4 tablespoons grated cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional - finely diced peppers onions, salsa, bacon crumbles and/or fresh herbs
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Lightly coat each cup of a standard-sized nonstick muffin pan with olive oil cooking spray.
- Beat eggs with dry mustard, salt and pepper.
- Line each muffin cup with 1 slice of deli meat. There will probably be a little excess extending from the top of each cup. Spoon 1 tablespoon of salsa, vegetables, bacon crumbles or fresh herbs into each cup, if desired.
- Pour egg mixture into each muffin cup.
- Place the muffin pan in the oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the eggs are puffed and the center is set.
- Using a knife, carefully remove the baked eggs from the pan. Garnish with additional fresh herbs and/or cheese, if desired.
- Once cooled, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week, or freeze for later use.
- Reheat from refrigerated for about 45 seconds or 1 minute 30 seconds to 2 minutes from frozen.
Store these in an airtight container in the fridge then just pop ’em in the microwave for about 45 seconds when you are ready to enjoy!