We love everything about fall, from the vibrant leaves to cool breezes and of course indulging in popular seasonal flavors like chai tea. We honestly never thought there could be anything better than sipping a hot cup of milky chai tea on a cool day, then Big View Bakery’s Pastry Chef, Hannah Neikirk, blew our minds with chai tea shortbread cookies and buttercream frosting! Lucky for us — and you — Hannah gave us the recipe so we could make the sweet treats at home. We plan to make a dozen or two to take with us to Thanksgiving dinner (and might even make a few extras to save for later!).
Chai Tea Shortbread Cookie Recipe
- 1 lb. butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp chai tea powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all ingredients together on a slow speed, being careful not to over-mix!
- Wrap dough into plastic wrap and flatten.
- Chill for 1 hour.
- Once chilled, roll out dough on flour surface until 1/4 inch thick.
- Punch out 48 circles with a flutter 3-inch cookie cutter
- Bake 10 – 12 minutes.
- 2 sticks butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 vanilla bean cut in half and seeds scraped out
- Cream butter with vanilla and vanilla bean seeds on medium speed.
- Once light and fluffy (about 5-6 minutes), add powdered sugar and salt.
- Once the buttercream is finished, place into a disposable piping bag with your favorite star piping tip.
To assemble cookies:
Pipe a large circle around the edges of the bottom of the shortbreads, making sure not to go outside the cookie. Place the tops on and press lightly. Pipe the rest of the buttercream in a tight circle in the middle. Allow to sit for 30 minutes to an hour. Or if you’re impatient eat right away!
Makes 12 cookie sandwiches
We hope you enjoy!
Do you have a favorite family recipe that’s always a hit? We’d love to hear about it and feature it with our favorites. Send it to [email protected].
Keep up with the very best of Charlotte. Follow us on Instagram — @StyleBlueprintCharlotte.
Check out this versatile and fabulous leather + pearl (and glass bead options, too!) at StyleBlueprint Marketplace, HERE! (and you get a FREE leather and pearl choker with each purchase!)