My family loves soup. Well, if I’m being honest, my family loves soup with the exception of my son. But, I’ll win him over eventually … This time of year when the seasons shift and life takes on an even more chaotic pace, I tend to make big pots of soup, and we eat on them for days. This soup, in particular, is one that admittedly not everyone in my family likes as we have a definite split: those who like cooked cabbage and those who do not. I could eat cooked cabbage every single day of my life and be happy. My husband? It’s hard for him to even know there’s cooked cabbage in our refrigerator. But, this soup is so dang easy to make that I tend to make it when I want a no-fuss lunch and dinner so that I can get back on the health wagon. It’s protein and veggies. That’s it! If you are keto-ing it, and you want more fat, add some cream and butter (or eat some cheese on the side!). Paleo? Serve as is. It’s yummy and lasts for days and days in the refrigerator. And, yes, it’s gluten-free. But, what really stands out is that it is no-fuss goodness. I can imagine something similar being served up by my grandmothers.
Perhaps you remember the “cabbage soup diet” from the ’80s. I’m sure people were eating something similar to this then and feeling really good. But, I keep carrots and onions out of my main recipe as it keeps the sugar content lower. Feel free to add more to your tasting. As I always say, these recipes should just be your blueprint to making your own version. So, add some other veggies, some honey or some other spices as you create your own signature beef cabbage soup.
Darn Good Beef Cabbage Soup
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- Whole head green cabbage sliced
- Whole celery bunch diced removing bottom
- 8 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 pounds 90/10 beef I used Laura's Lean
- 1 package Birds Eye Steamfresh riced cauliflower from the freezer section, cooked in the microwave
- 2 cans Rotel
- 2.5 Tablespoons Berbere Spice Blend by Kroger Private Selection substitute 2 tablespoons smoked paprika and .5 tablespoons salt if you can't find
- 2 Tablespoons onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon to 1 Tablespoon kosher salt we started with low-sodium beef broth, so salt to your preference
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oil in a large stockpot. Add celery and cabbage, and cook until the bulk is reduced by about half and the vegetables are limp. About 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so that they don't burn. While these are cooking, cook the ground beef in a skillet and drain the fat. Cook the cauliflower in the microwave. Add the beef broth to the cooked cabbage and celery. Add the cooked riced cauliflower. (At this point, if you would like to use an immersion blender for two seconds to have a thicker soup, you can, but it's not necessary and purely a personal choice.) Add the cooked beef and all the seasoning and Rotel. Let cook for an additional 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
Enjoy your soup!
WANT MORE SOUP RECIPES? HERE ARE 5 SOUP RECIPES TO WARM UP WITH THIS FALL.