Birmingham’s Homewood neighborhood boasts over 30 culinary haunts — from breakfast and coffee spots to healthy eats, bakeries, beloved BBQ joints, and plenty of options for a meal to satisfy the whole family. This guide covers all of our favorites and highlights a few of the neighborhood staples that have served locals for decades. Here’s how to eat your way through Homewood!
Coffee & Breakfast
Kick off your day with specialty coffee, biscuits, or a hearty breakfast. Homewood’s coffee scene is one of the most robust in the city!
- O’Henry’s Coffee: For classic favorites in a cozy atmosphere, hit up O’Henry’s, which has been roasting and serving coffee for over 30 years. The staff of knowledgeable baristas will find your perfect flavor for take-home beans; they’ve got over 30 options to choose from!
- Santo’s Coffee: Further down 18th Street, you’ll find Santo’s Coffee, a comfy spot for a pour-over and pastry.
- Caveat Coffee: Head down the street for specialty espresso drinks in Caveat’s moody yet welcoming space. Grab a drink, head downstairs or outside to their large backyard patio, and hang around in the comfortable lounge areas. There’s also a drive-thru!
- Domestique Coffee: Domestique’s coffee is supplied at many stores and restaurants across the Southeast, including Alabama and Atlanta. Visit the intimate Homewood location for a delicious brew straight from the source.
- Seeds Coffee: Travel down Oxmoor Road to Seeds Coffee, a local favorite that’s been serving up espresso drinks and beans (they even offer coffee subscription options) for years.
- Red Mountain Expresso: If you’re in a rush, stop through Red Mountain Espresso’s quick drive-thru for an easy yet elevated pick-me-up.
- Big Bad Breakfast: If you’re seeking a delicious, hearty breakfast, look no further than Big Bad Breakfast. The specialty skillets are a can’t-miss.
- Maple Street Biscuit Company: For some morning comfort food, stop by Maple Street for tasty, flaky biscuit sandwiches and sweet treats.
- Homewood Bagel Co.: Who doesn’t love a toasty bagel slathered in cream cheese? Homewood Bagel Co. bakes fresh bagels daily and is open for breakfast and lunch.
BBQ + Meet and Threes
Are you even eating through Alabama if you’re not stopping by a few BBQ joints? Homewood is a great place to start with a selection of local favorites.
- Johnny’s Restaurant: Johnny’s is a Homewood staple serving up classic meat-and-three options and Greek specialties inspired by Chef Timothy Hontza’s heritage.
- Rodney Scott’s BBQ: Located in the heart of Homewood on 18th Street, Rodney Scott’s is famous for its whole hog BBQ. Don’t leave without ordering some banana pudding!
- Saw’s BBQ: If you surveyed the locals, most would award Saw’s the best BBQ in all of Alabama. Don’t sleep on their Stuffed Taters or Saw’s Dogs.
- Jim ‘N Nicks: With burgers, sandwiches, ribs, salads, soups, potatoes, and more, Jim N’ Nicks offers the most extensive BBQ menu in the neighborhood. Plus, the famous cheese biscuits are a mouthwatering must.
Homewood has you covered if you’re in the mood for something light and fresh. From grain bowls to smoothies, these healthy eats are precisely what you’re craving.
- Greenhouse: Greenhouse offers delicious, fresh salads, sandwiches, and bowls, including build-your-own options.
- Ashley Mac’s: Ashley Mac’s is a Birmingham favorite for its tasty lunch options, including salads, sandwiches, soups, and more, as well as their gourmet to-go meals, perfect for easy family dinners.
- Kale Me Crazy: The name says it all. Kale Me Crazy has your salad, green juice, smoothies, bowl favorites, healthy wraps, toasts, and sandwiches.
- Real & Rosemary: Real & Rosemary’s seasonal menu always highlights the best and freshest ingredients. Stop by for light snacks, salads, sandwiches, and larger plates.
- Farm Bowl + Juice Co.: Farm Bowl + Juice Co. offers yummy (and photo-worthy) açai bowls, smoothies, juices, wellness shots, and coffee.
Sweet treats are one of Homewood’s specialties. Ooey-gooey cookies, flaky doughnuts, and cakes for any of your upcoming celebrations abound at Homewood’s selection of bakeries.
- Cookie Fix: Cooke Fix’s cookies are just downright delicious. Crispy on the outside and melty in the middle, you’ll have trouble stopping after one. They also offer take-home dough! (SB Tip: Don’t sleep on the healthy PB cookie!)
- Savage’s: Savage’s Bakery has been a Birmingham landmark for over 70 years. They’ve got all the sweets you crave, including cookies, cinnamon rolls, pies, petit fours, bread, and custom cakes.
- Edgar’s Bakery: Edgar’s is another Homewood staple serving up drool-worthy treats like lemon squares, cookie cakes, cupcakes, custom cakes, and more. They also offer breakfast and lunch options!
Take a break from shopping your way through Homewood and enjoy a delicious lunch at one of these neighborhood staple favorites.
- Homewood Gourmet: After 26 years, Homewood Gourmet recently relocated to 18th Street, but they’re still serving up all your lunch favorites. Salads, soups, sandwiches, and rollups are available for lunch, while family meals-to-go are ready to be ordered for dinner.
- Sam’s Super Sandwiches: Sam’s Super Sandwiches go hand-in-hand with a good day in Homewood. They’ve been in the neighborhood since 1970, offering hot dogs, hamburgers, specialty sandwiches, and breakfast options. Sam’s is a must!
- O’Carrs: O’Carrs is a Homewood legacy. It opened as an ice cream parlor in 1975 and has since evolved into a must-visit lunch spot offering salads, sandwiches, and their famous chicken salad.
Homewood’s also got all the ingredients (pun intended) for a mouthwatering night out. Whether you’re planning a date night, a girl’s night, or looking for a spot to take out-of-towners, these options are sure to delight.
- Little Donkey: Little Donkey’s elevated yet approachable Mexican fare is curated with a Southern twist. Grab a margarita and sit on the breezy patio for a perfect Alabama evening.
- Dave’s Pizza: Dave’s is the place if you’re looking for an authentic neighborhood pizza joint. It’s casual, inviting, and a great spot for beer and doughy pie.
- Social Taco: A sister restaurant to Homewood’s SoHo Social (elevated bar food) and SoHo Standard (neighborhood kitchen and wine bar), Social Taco provides creative, yummy tacos and Mexican food in a fun, lighthearted atmosphere.
- The Grocery Brewpub: The Grocery is your place to grab a beer and watch the game. They’ve got classic bar food and over 20 beers on tap.
- Shiki: For Asian fusion dishes, Thai favorites, and sushi, Shiki is a fantastic choice. The atmosphere is relaxing, the customer service is top-notch, and the menu is expansive.
- Ironwood Kitchen & Cocktails: Located inside Homewood’s Valley Hotel, Ironwood Kitchen & Cocktails creates upscale Southern comfort food in a beautiful, modern atmosphere. This is a great place to take guests!
- Gianmarco’s: Located in the Edgewood district of Homewood, Italian eatery Gianmarco’s has been a local favorite for over 20 years. We highly recommend spending a date night at their outdoor wine bar.
- Pizzeria GM: Gianmarco’s second restaurant, Pizzeria GM, specializes in delicious, creative pizza. But don’t miss out on the meatball appetizer or baked mozzarella.
- Jinsei Sushi: Jinsei is well-known as one of the best sushi spots in the city. They also offer unique brunch and lunch options and a vast selection of specialty cocktails.
Want to stay in the know on what’s new in Birmingham? Subscribe to StyleBlueprint!