Just north of the bustling Gulch neighborhood sits a 32-acre development called Capitol View. The first of its kind in Nashville, the “multi-use urban district” is home to retail stores, restaurants, fitness studios, apartments and more. The joint venture of Northwestern Mutual, Boyle Investment Company and Northwood Ravin was established in 2017 and also includes the corporate offices of HCA and LifeWay. The development brings a unique, walkable mini-neighborhood to the heart of downtown, offering string light-lined streets and healthy local eats, as well as larger national brands that specifically selected this area to open their doors in Nashville.
One of the familiar friendly faces you’ll find in Capitol View? Nashville’s beloved M.L. Rose. The craft beer and burger joint was one of the very first to open in Capitol View in 2017. Owner Austin Ray explains that it’s not the first time that he and his team have chosen to open in a not-yet-established neighborhood. They went in early to both the Melrose and Charlotte Avenue locations and with purpose. He tells us, “It’s been one of the most rewarding things as a neighborhood pub owner watching neighborhoods grow around a location.”
Austin was searching for a third M.L. Rose location, and once he learned about the development, he knew he’d found it. Capitol View is readily accessible to so many of Nashville’s hottest areas — near Bicentennial Mall and Germantown, right on the border of downtown, connecting with the Gulch via not just 11th Avenue but also the Gulch Greenway, and then you have Marathon Music Works just around the corner. Austin tells us, “The connectivity was unprecedented.” That’s likely why you will see so many local and non-local businesses establishing first, second or, in this case, third locations in the development. Well, that and the parking. Marla Skipper of SVM Boutique puts the thoughts of all residents into words: “The perks of free parking are unmatched!”
Sercy + Co. opened its first location in Capitol View earlier this year, filling their shop with beautiful, thoughtful gifts from candles, candies and books to cards, glassware and journals. The idea stemmed from the Southern tradition of “sercies,” or little just-because gifts meant to make you smile. The bright store invites browsing and shopping for a special surprise, and we recommend chatting with the fabulous team who can guide you through the stories of each item they carry.
New to Nashville, VICI, a popular women’s clothing store, will open its first location outside of California at Capitol View. They have a giant online presence but just two brick and mortar stores in California. They have a very loyal customer base in the Nashville area, though, so they began the search for a storefront here. Like Austin, they were struck by the walkability and accessible location of Capitol View and decided they’d found the place. Their VP of Buying and Marketing, Aimee Dudum Colorado, tells us, “Capitol View will be the perfect home for VICI, centrally located and next to all the errands and appointments a VICI girl does on the daily!”
Mark Traylor, a partner of Capitol View, explains the mission behind their development. “Our vision for Capitol View is to provide Nashville with the first all-encompassing district where you can shop, eat, work and live without leaving the neighborhood. Capitol View has been intentionally built to foster community, and we’re proud that so many retailers, restaurants and businesses have chosen to open their doors here.”
A community is forming, and we hear that straight from the source. Austin of M.L. Rose laughs, “If you have the beer place, you end up getting to know everyone.” It just so happens that M.L. Rose’s bar has been a gathering place for not just the residents of Capitol View, but also the new retailers, restaurateurs and other business people in the community. Their outdoor-facing bar is usually seated with a mix of people, all interacting with one another, both at the bar and in Capitol View. Below, find out what’s open, what’s coming and what else you can expect for the future of Capitol View.
Food & Drink:
- Clean Juice: This place is so much more than juice and smoothies! They have açaí bowls, toasts, grain bowls and salads. We’re fans of the protein toast, topped with avocado and hard-boiled egg. The menu is organic and clean, and the interior is too.
- M.L. Rose: It’s a Nashville favorite for a reason. Visit on Wednesday nights at 6 p.m. for trivia, and enjoy their wide selection of both craft brews and craft burgers. (SB TIP: It’s one of Nashville’s least-known patios … for now!)
- Starbucks: For a necessary pre-workout dose of caffeine
- Your Pie: Don’t let the chain vibe deceive you! This build-your-own pizza place is fresh and addictive. They have whole wheat and gluten-free crusts as well as reasonable prices.
Fashion & Shopping:
- Sercy+Co: This charming store is stocked with Southern gifts and goods. Duck in to browse or find a goodie for a birthday or “just because” gift.
- SVM: The shelves of SVM hold chic, on-trend clothing at affordable prices. Their fabulous team will style you for a night out or help you find the perfect pair of jeans.
- Valerie: This Tennessee women’s boutique got its start in Cool Springs and chose Capitol View as its second location. Find trendy clothing, fun t-shirts and other accessories.
Health & Beauty:
- Club Pilates: Club Pilates also chose to open in Capitol View due to its convenient location (and ample parking!). Try one of their many class options from early morning to evening, seven days a week.
- drybar: drybar brings its famous “blow dry only” salon concept to Nashville. Whether a visiting bachelorette party headed to Broadway or a local attending a Saturday event, drybar is your resource in Capitol View.
- Jón Alan Aveda Salon: This high-end salon offers hair cuts, colors and treatments, spa treatments and more.
Coming Soon …
… and more! Stay tuned.
All photography provided by Capitol View.
For more Nashville neighborhood highlights, click here!