If you’re interested in trying — or continuing — a plant-based diet, try this fresh idea from Anthony DeGeorge, culinary director at AVO, a Nashville vegan restaurant. A bounty of flavors combines in this healthy dish featuring Delicata squash as the key ingredient. Enjoy it as a side — or the main event!
Roasted Delicata Squash with Tri-Color Quinoa and Walnuts with Pomegranate Molasses Vinaigrette
- 1/2 c tri-color quinoa uncooked
- 1 c water
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Delicata squash medium size
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 c walnut pieces
- 4.5 Tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1.5 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp marjoram minced (sub dry if unavailable)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- 3/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small saucepot, combine quinoa, water, and salt. Place on medium-high heat on stove and bring to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 30 minutes. When it’s ready, remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly
- Wash the squash. Then slice lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Discard the seeds or save for roasting as a snack.
- Cut the squash into half-inch half-moon shapes and discard the ends. There is no need to peel the squash — it will be tender and edible after cooking.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the squash with the olive oil then spread onto a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spread the walnuts on another baking sheet and toast in oven for 10 minutes. Take out and set aside to cool.
- Using a blender or a mixing bowl with a whisk, combine the pomegranate molasses, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. While continuing to mix, slowly drizzle in olive oil to create an emulsion.
To assemble: Toss cooked squash, quinoa, and pomegranate molasses, and serve on a large platter. Garnish with the walnut pieces and wild arugula leaves
Find more fresh recipes ideas in our archives. Click HERE!