The Mockingbird, Nashville, TN
Chocolate Chip Supreme Cookie
“This recipe is the epitome of nostalgia for me. It’s my mom Joan’s Chocolate Chip Supreme Cookie recipe that she has perfected over the last 40 years! It is a pretty classic recipe, but there is the addition of oats that leads to a nice crunch and a balance of whole wheat and all-purpose flour for just the perfect crumb structure and moisture level. They are perfectly soft, not too sweet and loaded with chocolate chips. To me, this is one of the most simple recipes but also one of the hardest to perfect. Straight out of the oven they smell heavenly, and they are on the menu, in part, because it brings such joy to smell them being baked every day!”
Mom's Chocolate Chip Supreme Cookies
- 2 C butter room temperature
- 1 ½ C light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 ½ C granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 2 small packages 6.8 oz. instant vanilla pudding
- 2 tbsp. vanilla
- 2 ¼ C all-purpose flour
- 2 ¼ C whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 4 C semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 C uncooked quick-cooking oats
- Heat oven to 375F
- In a stand mixer, cream butter for three minutes. Gradually add sugars, beating well. Add eggs, beating until blended. Add pudding mix and vanilla.
- Combine flours, baking soda and salt. Gradually add into butter mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips and oats
- Shape dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on a lined sheet pan.
- Press dough until it is 1 inch thick.
- Bake or 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks and let cool completely.