The words “eclectic” and “unique” don’t even begin to describe the Cooper-Young neighborhood. This tight-knit community is home to century-old houses, family-owned businesses, local bars, innovative eateries and cool spots to hang out with family and friends. Just see for yourself how authentic this part of Memphis is. We can’t wait for you to experience the fun!
Cooper-Young is known for its delicious dining spots, some being the most well-known restaurants in the Memphis area. You’ll find favorites like Central Barbecue, Young Avenue Deli, Sweet Grass & Next Door, Cafe Ole, Elwood’s Shells and so many more. From pizza to sandwiches and a few fine dining spots, there is something for everyone.
- Alchemy: Known for their tasty cocktails and memorable small-plates, this casual restaurant and bar is a real gem. They also have an extensive bourbon and local craft beer list.
- Aldo’s Pizza Pies: Great pizza and delicious beer … what more could you ask for? With seating outside, Aldo’s is the perfect place to take visiting guests.
- Beauty Shop Restaurant and Lounge: “Look Good, Eat Good” is the name of the game. This trendy restaurant is housed in the former Atkins Beauty Salon and rumor has it Priscilla Presley was a regular.
- Cafe Ole: Tacos and a huge patio … yes, please! While you’re there, grab one of their famous margaritas and the bacon-wrapped shrimp.
- Cafe Palladio: Cafe Palladio’s lunch menu features the sandwiches, salads and soups you’re craving. They also have freshly brewed coffee, teas and sweet desserts.
- Central BBQ: Ranked one of the top 3 BBQ restaurants since 2003, there’s no denying this joint is delicious. Our recommendation? The nachos or smoked hot wings.
- Chef Tam’s Underground Cafe: Think of Cajun staples with a Southern twist and a little bit of love sprinkled on for good measure — that’s Chef Tam’s Underground Cafe.
- Cooper Street 20/20: If you’re looking for to-go dinners ready to eat, look no further! Whether you’re grabbing something for a romantic dinner for two, a dinner party or you just don’t feel like cooking, Cooper Street 20/20 has your back.
- DWJ Korean BBQ: Cooper-Young’s is the second DWJ location in Memphis serving up authentic Korean BBQ and dishes.
- Imagine Vegan Cafe: Owned and operated by a husband and wife duo, this vegan cafe brings compassionate food choices with a southern flair.
- Elwood’s Shells: Get a taste of New Orleans right here in Memphis. Elwood’s Shells offers delicious Cajun fare and lunch specials every day of the week.
- Muddy’s Bake Shop: After dinner, stop by Muddy’s to satisfy that sweet tooth. With cupcakes, cookies, pie and more, you’re sure to find something that your taste buds will thank you for.
- Mulan Bistro: In the mood for Chinese food? Mulan is your spot.
- Soul Fish Cafe: This is the place for soul food. They’re serving up tasty fried catfish, fresh veggies, po-boys, smoked chicken and so much more. Ah, sweet Southern comfort.
- Stone Soup Cafe & Market: Home-style breakfast all day, lunch and dinner with a market of baked goods — this is your place to go to when you want something like your mama’s cooking.
- Sweet Grass & Next Door: Sweet Grass specializes in low country cuisine. Reservations are requested here. Next Door is more of the casual neighborhood hangout bar. Choose your vibe, and enjoy the experience!
- Tsunami: Tsunami has a changing small plate menu every single day, allowing guests the opportunity to take advantage of the freshest seafood and seasonal offerings.
- Young Avenue Deli: Grab a delicious bite to eat, listen to some live music and catch up with friends here. They have 36 draft selections and 130 can and bottle options. Cheers!
Sometimes, you just need a cool drink after a long day of work. With so many different places to grab a cocktail or a beer, you can change up your scenery every time you visit Cooper-Young.
- Bar DKDC: This is an intimate music club where you can let loose and drink local beers. If beer isn’t your thing, they have a huge rum selection or craft cocktails. Hungry? They’ve got international street food that you can grab at the bar.
- Bluff City Coffee: Whether you prefer an Italian-style espresso beverage, hot tea or a fruit-filled smoothie, Bluff City Coffee has got you covered. They also offer a selection of sweet pastries, breakfast options and lunch sandwiches.
- Celtic Crossing: Grab a pint, listen to great music and socialize with friends at this local pub. Their drinks aren’t the only thing that’s good — be sure to try out one of their authentic Irish dishes.
- Hammer & Ale: Hammer & Ale has an ever-changing selection of 24 draft taps and limited release brews perfect for any beer aficionado.
- Java Cabana Coffeehouse: This retro coffeehouse has fair trade coffee, espresso drinks and milkshakes. They even have live music, poetry and art openings. Just check their website to see what’s happening.
- Knifebird: This neighborhood wine bar has an extensive selection of curated wines, cocktails and beer. They also offer shareable snacks, cured meats and artisan cheeses. Sounds like the perfect GNO!
- Memphis Made Brewing Company: This small independent brewery produces three year-round beers along with seasonal and limited brews.
The most popular place in the Cooper-Young area to hang out and play is Railgarten. Grab a friend, a cold drink and relax in one of their picnic chairs. Railgarten has 1.5 acres of pure fun. Enjoy pong, live music, games, volleyball, swings and libations (including frozen rosé.) This is the perfect way to spend a sunny weekend!
With a variety of retail in Cooper-Young, you can get everything from books to handmade soaps to vintage clothing. Our suggestion? Check them all out! You never know what you might find.
- Burke’s Book Store: Burke’s is a nationally known bookstore where you can buy, sell and trade new, used and rare books.
- Buff City Soap: Each bar of soap is handcrafted and made in-store. With all-natural ingredients, every single product includes good-for-you materials like petals, lemon zest, hemp seed oil, shea butter and more. No harsh chemicals here!
- FOX+CATVINTAGE: This unique vintage store, featuring mostly women’s clothing and accessories, has everything from the early 1900s to the 1990s. Shop shoes, gowns, designer pieces, and other unique items.
- Flashback: Here, you’ll find items dating back to the 1920s through the ’80s. From funky ’50s to modern art, you can find it all here.
- Grivet Outdoors: Ready for your next adventure? Grivet Outdoors has everything you need for your outdoor activities.
- Goner Records: If you’re into collecting records, this is your spot. Their vintage and collectible selection spans soul, blues, funk and more.
- Loudean’s: Loudean’s is a ladies boutique carrying vintage finds like handbags, jewelry, scarves and hats.
- Midtown Nursery: For all your floral and garden needs, this shop has an outdoor nursery with everything from vegetables to houseplants. They also sell gift items, assorted pots and landscape services.
- Palladio Home and Garden: Whether you’re shopping for interior or exterior decor, Palladio has got you covered. With a blend of antique finds and current trends, this is your one-stop shop for garden and home amenities.
- Revolutions Bike Co-Op: This nonprofit organization sells refurbished bikes and memberships to its shared workshop to fund education and outreach programs for riders of all ages and skill levels, creating a cycle of exploration.
- Two Rivers Bookstore: This independent bookstore specializes in science fiction, horror, fantasy and weird fiction. They sell new, used and vintage books, and they also accept books in trade. They also have a gift shop featuring handmade and unique gifts including vintage clothing, candles, skincare, apparel, original artwork and more.
HEALTH + BEAUTY
When it comes to spa and pampering yourself, Cooper-Young is the place to be! Whether you’re wanting a massage or a fresh, clean haircut, it’s all available within walking distance.
- Glo Medical Aesthetics & Hair Spa: This is a luxury medical aesthetic practice and hair spa. They offer injectables, medical-grade skincare, laser treatments, full hair services, expert makeup applications, and bridal and event hair services.
- Midtown Massage and Bodywork: Whether it be barefoot, therapeutic or Thai, Midtown Massage offers all the pampering your heart desires.
- Pavo Salon: An Aveda Lifestyle Salon, Pavo offers the latest cuts, styling and color. They also offer facial and body waxing. Be sure to make an appointment before stopping by!
Yes, there are even places to get your sweat on in Cooper-Young. It doesn’t matter if you’re into kickboxing, yoga or prefer a one-on-one workout with a personal trainer, you can pick and choose your desired fitness activity in this bustling Memphis neighborhood.
- Inbalance Fitness: If group fitness settings aren’t really your thing, Inbalance Fitness may be the fitness option you’re looking for! This facility is designed and dedicated to personal training.
- Memphis Fitness Kickboxing: This kickboxing class is a 50- to 60-minute interval training session that includes plyometric exercises, yoga poses, cardio-vascular and resistance training. Each class starts with a warm-up followed by several rounds of combinations with the heavy bag and finishes with abdominal exercises.
- mind/body HAUS: mind/body HAUS is a yoga and fitness studio that offers heated and non-heated power flow, vinyasa yoga and fitness classes like boot camp and cardio dance. Their objective? Move your body, clear your mind, and share in love and health.
Now, get out there and explore this historic neighborhood!
For more neighborhood highlights, click here!