Simple Vegan Gumbo
This flavorful vegan gumbo is Cajun cuisine at its finest.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 or 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 cups frozen chopped Holy Trinity vegetable blend which is1 cup each: chopped white onion, chopped celery and chopped bell pepper
- 3 cups vegetable stock about 2 cans
- 1 or 2 cans diced tomatoes to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp Creole seasoning
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 cups frozen chopped okra
- 3 cups frozen chopped collard greens
- 2 cans black-eyed peas drained OR 3 cups frozen black-eyed peas
- Salt & Pepper
Roux: Heat olive oil in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven on a medium-low heat. Gradually whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly until mixture turns the color of melted chocolate.
Stir in minced garlic and Holy Trinity vegetables.
Slowly add broth and tomatoes, stirring well.
Next, add bay leaves and other seasonings.
Stir in frozen okra, collard greens and black-eyed peas.
Bring to a boil over high heat, then cover and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for at least an hour, stirring occasionally.
Serve with rice.
Rate it above to let us know how it was!