Fried Green Tomato BLT
This combination of fried green tomatoes, bacon, sweet pepper relish and homemade bread is out of this world!
- 1 cup seasoned all-purpose flour season with 2 tablespoons Old Bay, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 2 tablespoons salt, 2 teaspoons garlic powder and 1 tablespoon granulated onion
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cornmeal seasoned with red pepper flakes and combined with 1/4 C flour
- Canola oil for frying
- 3 medium green tomatoes sliced to ¼-inch thickness
- 8 slices thick wheat bread
- Lettuce leafy romaine or spring mix
- 12 strips of applewood-smoked bacon cooked crisp
- Sweet Grass / Next Door pepper relish $7, sold at the restaurants
- Ranch dressing
Use three shallow dishes for breading the tomatoes, with the seasoned flour in the first dish. Whisk the eggs and 2 Tablespoons water together in a second shallow dish, then combine the cornmeal, additional flour and red pepper flakes in the third dish.
Heat about an inch of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Dredge the tomato slices in the flour mixture, dip slices in the egg mixture and then dredge again in the cornmeal mixture.
Fry the tomatoes until the crust is golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
Toast or pan fry the bread, then layer the lettuce and three slices of bacon on one side, and the three tomato slices on the other. Top the tomatoes with pepper relish, and finish off with the second piece of bread. Serve with ranch dressing on the side.
Rate it above to let us know how it was!