Roasted Carrots & Parsnips with Asian Spice & Maple Syrup
Looking for a vegetable side for your holiday feast? Try these sweet and spicy roasted root vegetables.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 pounds parsnips peeled and cut into 1/2 x 3-inch sticks
- 3 pounds carrots peeled and cut into 1/2 x 3-inch sticks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 whole cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 2 each whole star anise
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 3 oranges rind removed with a peeler and juiced
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet until smoking. Add the parsnips and carrots and cook over a high heat until browned, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium and add the butter, garlic and spices. Cook for about 1 minute to release the flavors.
Add the orange rind, orange juice and maple syrup. Toss to coat and put in the oven for about 10 minutes or until cooked through.
Remove from the oven. Remove and discard the star anise, cinnamon stick and orange rind. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
Rate it above to let us know how it was!