Garlic Shrimp and Herb and Vidalia-Infused Three-Cheese Grits
This coastal comfort food is elevated with Vidalia-infused three-cheese grits.
- 1 cup Geechie Boy Stone Ground Grits
- 4 cups Charleston Chen Stock or Chicken Broth
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium Vidalia onion chopped
- 2 sprigs each of basil chives, rosemary and thyme
- ½ cup whole milk or half and half
- 2 tablespoons chopped mixed herbs - basil chives, rosemary and thyme
- ¼ cup each of grated Gruyere smoked Gouda and manchego cheeses
- Sea salt and black pepper
- ¼ cup minced garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 teaspoons Holy Basil Leaves found in International markets or specialty Grocers, 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes can be substituted for Holy Basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Dash of sea salt and black pepper
- 1 ½ pounds raw unpeeled shrimp
- ¼ cup white wine
- ¼ cup key lime juice
Bring chicken stock and Vidalia to a boil. Remove from heat.
Add 2 tablespoons butter and herb sprigs. Cover and let steep for 1 hour.
Discard sprigs and return to a boil over medium high heat and whisk in grits.
Reduce heat to low and cook until creamy, about 50 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add ¼ cup milk and stir until completely absorbed.
Remove from heat and add herbs, all cheeses, remaining butter.
Season with salt and pepper.
Cover and set aside.
Combine first 7 ingredients in large bowl. Add shrimp and toss. Cover and refrigerate for 90 minutes.
Remove shrimp from marinade and peel.
Heat large skillet over medium high heat and add enough of the chilled marinade to sauté shrimp. Cook shrimp until pink, about 4 minutes.
Place shrimp in bowl and keep warm.
Add remaining marinade, Key Lime juice and return to a boil. Add wine and shrimp and cook for 1 minute.
Pour shrimp and marinade over cheese grits and serve.
Calories: 670kcalCarbohydrates: 123gProtein: 7gFat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 623mgPotassium: 364mgFiber: 1gSugar: 97gVitamin A: 451IUVitamin C: 19mgCalcium: 128mgIron: 1mg
Rate it above to let us know how it was!