We’ve found them all for you: Experts on shoes, denim, hair, makeup and clothing. Here is your 2010 Spring fashion trend advice!
We went straight to the owner of Monkee’s, Elizabeth Broyhill, and asked her point blank: what’s hot? Are gladiators still in? What are you most excited about? Here is what you need to know:
- Gladiator Sandals: The gladiator is back again this Spring in a major way. If you’re still a little hesitant opt for simple leather strap for a cleaner look. Or kick it up with embellishments or a high wedge.
- Exotic Embellishments: Go native with exotic embellishments. Feathers, beads, paillettes… the more the better! And this trend goes hand-in-hand perfectly with the gladiator phenomenon.
- Reptile: This is a look that is timeless in my opinion, but it made a major statement on the runways for this season. Any reptile – snakeskin, alligator, you are good to go. And don’t hesitate to go for a stamped leather for a less expensive buy.
- Nudes & Neutrals: This elegant look is here in a major way for Spring. This look elongates the leg and is truly flattering. And if you’re worried about matching your skin tone, TroveTkees will arrive soon at Monkee’s. These celebrity must-haves are beautiful leather sandals that come in a broad palate of foundation colors – stay tuned!
- High Wedge: The petite gals always gravitate to these stunners, but even if you’re 6 feet tall, we say go for it! There are many styles to choose from this Spring and a wedge is always a flattering look and quite comfortable to boot!
- Studs: This is a carry over trend from Fall and we welcome it to stay! Studs are a fantastic embellishment to reflect that hard-edge of your style. Go for a shoe that can carry you into the early Fall as this trend is sticking around for a while! Our zipper shoes are fantastic as well.
- Basically, whatever you want and love is on trend this Spring. If you want a flare, a boot cut, or a skinny, they are all fashionable. This season is all about YOU.
- You will see the opposite ends of the spectrum lining the street: tattered & battered along side with tailored and clean.
- Boyfriend jeans didn’t sell in the way that was promised, so it will be interesting to see if that look in denim stays around.
- J Brand continues to be ultra popular in Nashville and look for the love-fest we had over black denim in winter to carry into Spring. While gray denim is touted in the magazines as strong and trendy, it’s an urban look (think NYC and LA) and most of Nashville simply won’t embrace it. Nashville loves white jeans and they are a must have.
- The Skinny Jean is proving to be one that has sticking power. The various fit options have opened this look up to many shapes….especially if you pair with a boot and a long tunic. Look to see a lot of cropped skinny jeans this Spring and Summer as more and more women embrace this look which is becoming more of a mainstay jean than a trend.
- The Daily Beast has an hysterical post on the trend of the legging = jean known as a jegging. Click here. It’s worth the click.
- Boutique Bella carries sizes 24 – 32 (00 – 12) for jeans. They have low rise, mid rise, high rise, regular and long. They have so many jeans; it’s amazing. Give yourself an hour here and find your perfect jean!
- Short hair cuts are fuller bodied pixie cuts reminiscent of the sixties.
- Mid length classic bobs with strong lines are still going strong.
- Long hair is getting more layered and textured.
- Reds are multi-tonal but still have a soft lived in look.
- Brunettes are either dark and dramatic or muted with golden peekaboo highlights.
- Blonds are natural looking with a lot of buttery tones.
- Styling is soft and often multi-textured (ie. smooth top with rough ends)
Woo Skincare + Cosmetics shares what the new, hot colors are for this Spring and how to apply them. Here’s their sage advice:
- Corals: For lips and cheeks, beautiful, lush, warm corals with a hint of pink. Bobbi Brown has six new lipsticks and new rouge pots in Calypso Coral and Cabo Coral. They can be used on either your lips or cheeks.
- Shimmers: Shimmer into spring with a subtle look. Use shimmers on your lids and cheeks in Bobbi Brown colors of Nectar and Pink Quartz. One customer asked, “Can 50 year-old woman use shimmers?” Absolutely, but sparingly, just in the crease of the lid and as highlights to your blush.
- Subtlety: Soft and feminine is in with subtle pinks, corals and warm browns.
- Definition: Brows need definition and Bobbi Brown has a new brow pencil that’s wax free to allow a smoother application.
- Fresh, White, Clean, Crisp: Seek out shirts, tunics and tees that reflect an airy, light look. Habit has a great selection from Velvet and Joie. Stay away from cremes this Spring season as they are on the out.
- Nautical: This is still in and continues to be a versatile addition to your wardrobe. You’ll see lots of white stripes with the traditional navy as well as other colors. Pair your nautical tees and sweaters with skinny white jeans.
- Twill: Twill jeans are the new leggings with their sleek, smooth texture. You’ll find twill jeans in white, khaki and black. As Boutique Bella also said, the skinny jean is here for a while. A staple. Both stores disagree that skinnys are only suited for 20 year olds. Meg just send her Mother a pair with instructions included: cover you backside with a long tunic or sweater, pair with boots and have fun. High waisted trousers with wide legs are part of most Spring collections.
- Safari Look: The safari look in fatigue colors of grey, khaki and white. Check out Joie, one of Habits’ most popular lines.
- Pencil Jeans: Pencil jeans that hit above the ankle. Some will have cuffs to roll up and pair with flats. It’s a new slant on the boyfriend look.
- Slub: I LOVE the feel of slub. Slub is linen and cotton blended together giving shirts and wraps a distinctive look with its texture and weave.
- Tees: Razor back tees in all colors IMAGINABLE.