Summer is the time to fill up on fruits and veggies at each and every meal. This Spicy Watermelon, Strawberry & Jicama Salad can be piled on top of arugula if you want some greens, as opposed to just reds. And it’s tasty with or without feta cheese. It’s the perfect accompaniment with burgers, fried chicken, ribs and corn on the cob … all those summer staples!
And you know those hot, hazy days of summer when the heat has completely zapped your appetite? This is your meal. Seriously, the spicy, salty (yes, salty!) flavor paired with the sweet fruit is just what your body is craving. The summer heat energy drain has met its match; simply make this side into the main meal … with maybe a few chips — because chips on the side works with everything, right? #truth
A few tips for this Spicy Watermelon, Strawberry & Jicama Salad recipe:
- When you are chopping up the jalapeño, use those disposable gloves you can buy, 50 to a box. Believe me, you’ll end up using these gloves more often than you think.
- Add more jalapeños if you want. With just one pepper, it’s spicy, but not bad at all. Spice lovers, double it to two jalapeños.
- Strawberries are best when fresh sliced, so this is a salad best made within an hour of eating.
- If you are making this for July 4th, Memorial Day, Labor Day or just want some patriotic flair, add blueberries!
- As a shortcut to slicing up the watermelon, buy one of the large containers of pre-cut watermelon in the refrigerated produce section. You’ll need to cut the pieces smaller, but this does save time.
Spicy Watermelon, Strawberry & Jicama Salad
- 1 small seedless watermelon chopped into bite-size pieces (approx. 10 cups)
- 4 pints strawberries quartered (approx. 5 cups)
- 1/2 jicama approx. 2 cups
- Juice of two limes approx. 1/3 cup
- 2 cups chopped red onion
- 1 cup Simple Truth® organic cilantro roughly chopped (Consider mint or basil if you don't like cilantro)
- 1 jalapeño seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice juice from approx. 4 limes
- 1/3 cup Simple Truth® organic Italian extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T kosher salt
- 1.5 T ground black pepper
- 1 t Simple Truth® organic ground cumin
- 1 t Simple Truth® organic ground chili powder
- 1/2 cup feta cheese optional
- Chop up the watermelon into bite-size pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Wash strawberries and remove stem and leaves, and cut each into quarters and place on top of the cut watermelon.
- Peel the jicama and chop into slivers. Suggested size is 1.5 inches by 1/8 of an inch.
- Dice a red onion, or cut into slivers. However you prefer. Use approximately two cups of onion. Place in bowl on top of the strawberries.
- Roughly chop the cilantro and place one cup into the bowl of chopped fruit and vegetables.
- In a small bowl, add jalapeño, olive oil, lime juice, kosher salt, black pepper, cumin and chili seasoning and mix.
- Mix the chopped fruit and vegetables. Pour liquid dressing on top and mix again.
- Top with feta cheese and more cilantro. (Optional)
- For patriotic flair, add blueberries.