Juniper Green, a Nashville catering company that opened in 2017, strongly believes in all things balance. That applies to life as well as to the dinner table! While their passion lies in creating light and fresh main course offerings, they set out to create something on the more decadent side for dessert, and we’re so glad they did! This salted caramel chocolate pie balances not only the sweet and the salty but also provides a perfect counterpart to the lighter meal. It’s deliciously interesting, yet classic. This recipe will create not only a mouthwatering dessert but a visually beautiful creation as well.
When you bite into this pie, you’ll experience the smooth, creamy sweetness of the caramel filling, the sweet yet bitter flavor of the dark chocolate ganache, and the light, flaky pie crust — sprinkled with flakey salt. Now, that is the way to finish a meal! With the holidays in mind, Juniper Green’s goal in creating this recipe was to make your last bite as enjoyable as your first, and this pie does just that!
Pro tip from Juniper Green: Sprinkle a little extra flaky salt on top just before serving so that everyone can see the beautiful contrast!
- 9-inch pre-baked pie shell
- Flaky sea salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup brown rice syrup
- 6 oz butter, unsalted
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 oz finely chopped dark chocolate
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Fill heavy-bottomed 4-quart pot with sugar, water and brown rice syrup. Stir until ingredients are wet and combined.
- Set over over medium-high heat and do not stir until mixture is amber in color. Watch carefully to prevent burning as this will happen quickly. Turn off heat once the desired color is reached.
- Stir in heavy cream and butter will bubble up rapidly. Turn heat to medium-low and stir until ingredients are blended.
- Pour into cooked pie shell, leaving a ¼-inch of pie shell for the chocolate ganache.
- Let cool for 1 hour in the fridge.
- Just before caramel is set, weigh out chocolate in a glass or metal mixing bowl.
- Heat heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat until edges begin to bubble.
- Pour heavy cream over chocolate and let sit for 1 minute.
- Stir until combined and let cool slightly.
- Pour cooled chocolate ganache over caramel and put back in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Take pie out 30 minutes prior to serving, add flaky sea salt, cut and serve immediately.
Find out more about Juniper Green: junipergreen.kitchen
To see more recipes, perfect for the holidays, click here.