You may remember last week when I was writing about recently going in to see Tracey Harris, owner of Trace Skin Care. I’ve been to to several med-spas and no one has ever taken the time to explain skincare the way Tracey did. Here is your basic skin care routine!
I told Tracey that I get overwhelmed with all the products out there. I mean, I love that Bliss catalog but the information overload paralyzes me and I just don’t know where to begin. So, she started by walking me through a basic skincare routine. Here it is:
- Wash face with cleanser, not body soap (if you have the Clarisonic, use it here for one minute) If you don’t know what the Clarisonic is, click here.
- Toner: depends on your face wash as to whether or not you need it. Tracey completely understands that some people may never do this step. If this is you, work with your skincare professional to pick a good cleanser that you will not need a toner with.
- Vitamin C Cream: ladies, if you are not using Vitamin C cream, consider investing in this. Vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid) is one of the relatively few topical agents whose effectiveness against wrinkles and fine lines is backed by a fair amount of reliable scientific evidence (from www.smartskincare.com)
- Notice this is basic skin care and Tracey has it listed. The pricey factor here is because how hard it is to get Vitamin C to be shelf stable. My $15 formula from Target didn’t cut it. See Tracey’s website for some options.
- Eye Cream: the thinner more delicate skin here needs its own moisturizer formulated with smaller particles to penetrate those tiny pores.
- Moisturizer with SPF. Everyday. Again, EVERYDAY.
- Wash face, if you have your clarisonic, use it twice a day. (if you are going to only use it once a day, pick night time to use it)
- Retinoid product (Tazorac, Retin A, etc)
- Night cream if needed
- Eye Cream
Going Out Routine:
As long as it’s night time and no risk of sun exposure exists….
- Cleanse, tone, eye cream, night cream or a hydrating serum and then apply make-up…It will go on very nice. Tracey recommends the Colorescience primers that she carries with antioxidants, spf 20 (then you don’t have to worry about not having sunscreen on), and silicone for diminishing the appearance of fine lines and pores.
There you have it. Your MUST need products. Sure, there is more that you can add, but how much are you really going to read today?:-) This is a 90-120 second routine twice a day. You can do this. You will love the results. For more information, click here to see Tracey’s blog on skincare consultation. Trace Skin Care can be reached at 615.519.7136. Further contact information is listed on her home page, bottom right hand corner. www.traceskincare.com
If you want to go further, Tracey Harris can help you get there. I left off most specific products as I don’t know what YOU need. I will tell you that you can load up all your crazy array of products and dump them on Tracey and she’ll tell you what to keep and what to ditch. I love that!