Oh summer, how I love thee so … peaches, corn, fresh herbs — yum. This recipe takes advantage of these summer edibles and proves to be a hearty salad for a meal, but delicate enough for a side as well. And, you’ll wow the gathering if you bring this salad to the potluck supper party — guaranteed. No worries, no one needs to know just how easy it is to prepare. Just letting them know you grilled and that the dressing is homemade is enough to elicit all the ohs and ahs you deserve!
And, as a tip, as you are grilling the peaches, onion and corn, go ahead and grill more. It’s so easy to make all the leftovers into a simple grilled salsa by chopping all ingredients up and adding some seasoning and hot sauce; or add the grilled peaches to ice cream and the onions and corn to fajitas the next night. When time is pressed (and when is it not?) double up your cooking and your future self will thank you.
But back to the salad at hand, this Grilled Peach Salad is great. If you are not a bacon fan, just eliminate it. If you’d rather use a store-bought vinaigrette, do it. But, the mixed greens, grilled peaches, grilled onions and grilled corn together make a fabulous combination. Add pork tenderloin, avocado, grilled tomatoes … whatever you wish to make it your own, but stick with combination of grilled peaches, onions and corn as that is the magic that makes this salad so good.
- 6 peaches, pitted and cut in half
- 1 vidalia onion, peeled and cut into ¼ inch rounds
- 2 ears of corn, shucked
- 50/50 Simple Truth® organic blend lettuces (or Simple Truth® baby arugula)
- 6 pieces of bacon
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fire up your grill to a medium/high heat.
- While the grill is heating, cook your bacon in a skillet until done (if you want to get fancy, you can bake your bacon in the oven, sprinkling it with brown sugar and cayenne pepper at 325 for 20-25 minutes. It keeps the bacon longer and more flat and adds great flavor.) Place bacon on paper towels to cool and soak up the excess grease.
- Peaches and onions are best grilled on a grill wok or metal vegetable basket, but you'll want to grill them in separate baskets or one at a time if you have to share the same one.
- Grill the peaches for approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Lightly coat the onions with olive oil, salt and pepper and grill for 10-12 minutes.
- Lightly coat the corn with olive oil, salt and pepper and lay directly on the grill irons and turn every 3 minutes for 6-7 minutes.
- After removing the peaches, onion and corn from the grill, let cool 5 minutes and then cut the corn off the grill.
- Arrange salad mixture on a large platter and place peaches (either in half or cut each half into ⅓ sections depending on preference), onions and corn on top.
- Break bacon into 1-2 inch pieces and lay across the top of the salad.
- Finally, add dressing and serve!
- (note: cook time at top is based on bacon cooking separately, but all vegetables cooking at the same time on the grill, so adjust accordingly)
- ¼ cup goat cheese
- ¼ cup Simple Truth® organic sour cream
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp apple vinegar
- ¼ cup loosely packed mixed herbs (I use Simple Truth® organic chives, basil and mint)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor. Taste it. If you prefer more salt and pepper or a stronger herb flavor ... add more!
- Note — ways to alter this recipe:
- If you are a mayo person, add a ¼ cup of mayonnaise to this recipe for that tangy mayo flavor.
- If you like a more oily dressing, add 2 tbs of extra virgin olive oil to this recipe for a thinner, more oily dressing that is equally as good!
Yes, get your grill out and take advantage of the warm weather and all the fresh fruits and vegetables available. That grill is not just for meat!