This was really hard. I have so many favorites and on any given day, I’m sure my favorites change. If your favorite post is not here, it may show up in Elizabeth’s top five list coming later this week. The following posts each capture a different reason for why I love my job.
Liza’s top 5:
1) My absolute favorite post to write was Gwyneth Paltrow, My New Best Friend. It was our April Fool’s Day post and I was shocked by how many people fell for it as the post was pretty over-the-top. I had friends calling me asking, er yelling, “Why didn’t you tell me?” Each time I simply said, “Please finish reading the post and call me back.”
The Gwyneth Paltrow Post, click here
2) The post that caught me most off guard for how well it was received, was a post I wrote quickly one night after my husband’s and my foray to Papa Boudreaux’s in Sante Fe, TN. We had a blast and the drive through Leiper’s Fork is always a gorgeous one. We hit it at sunset, with mist rising over the fields. The food was amazing. Our kids were with the grandparents that night, so the hour drive there and back, with no babysitter to pay, made the evening even better. I think this was my favorite night of the summer of 2010.
Papa Boudreaux Post, click here
3) Our post on Wiff Harmer’s photography was straight from my heart and I think it showed. This was one of the first posts where I really felt I was at home as a writer; it was the first post where I knew my writing 100% conveyed my thoughts.
Wiff Harmer Photography Post, click here
4) One of my favorite posts that Elizabeth wrote was about the Tree of Hearts found in Martha Ivester’s yard. Just after that post published, I had an email from a reader saying they were making a Tree of Hearts that very day for a friend in need. Then, a true tragedy touched the school my children attend. A friend and blog reader contacted me and said, “We need to do a Tree of Hearts.” I’m actually tearing up thinking back on this. We gathered the 5th and 6th graders at our school and they all spent the afternoon and well into the evening sewing and stuffing hearts. We had a huge display of love waiting for the family that had lost so much. To be a part of the blog that posted the story that inspired an act of love, is very special.
Tree of Hearts Post, click here
5) I know it just ran, but my post on “Are You Bare, Down There?” was so much fun to research, and while I really liked the post, it was missing something. Pictures. I couldn’t figure out what to put into the post and the pictures I was finding online for “Brazilian Wax” would get us an X rating – to be sure. When the idea of Georgia O’Keefe popped into my head, I knew it was gold. And, when I found the picture of the elderly lady trimming her bushes outside, I knew the post was complete. That was tons of fun. Getting an email from a reader proclaiming the post was “the icing on the pussy” had me both squeamish and giggling with fits of laughter all at once!
Bare Down There Post, click here.
Top 5 Honorable mentions:
1) Because she has such a great eye and was so fun to meet: Jamie Beckwith, Girl Crush
2) Combining blogging with friends is the best: Franklin: with Rachel & Amy
3) This torture is addictive: Pure Barre
4) I love our food posts and this one had partying with friends over great cocktails: Under 200 Calorie Cocktails
5) I love being a total goof: If Denim Could Talk
Again, Elizabeth has her own list coming, so if you didn’t see your favorite here, it might still be included in our 2010 review!
Happy New Year! We are grateful for all our readers. Thank you.