Fall Crunch Salad
Chef Tom Cook, Trattoria Il Mulino
When planning for the holidays, many forget about a salad. Vegetables sautéed, mashed and cooked in casseroles typically take center stage. This year, showcase fall flavors in the form of a salad with apple cider vinaigrette.
- 1 head Romaine hearts, chopped
- 1 head radichio, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, diced
- 1 Bosc pear, diced
- 2 oz Craisins
- 3 oz candied pecans
- 2 oz bleu cheese crumbles
- 2 oz toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 4 oz apple cider vinaigrette (see recipe)
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pt. apple cider
- 2 oz. cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp. local honey
- 1 tsp. minced shallots
- 8 oz. blended olive oil/vegetable oil
- Place apple cider in a small sauce pan and reduce on medium heat to
- oz. then place reduced cider in a blender with the cider vinegar, mustard, honey,
- shallot and lemon juice.
- Turn blender on medium speed and slowly drizzle oil in to emulsify.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare sweet potato by finely shredding on a mandolin and place in cold water.
- Preheat deep fryer to 300º
- Fry shredded sweet potato until crispy golden brown, then let drain on paper towels and season with kosher salt and set aside.
- Next, toss the chopped lettuces, diced apple, pear, Craisins, pecans, bleu cheese, celery and toasted pumpkin seeds in a salad bowl and dress with the apple cider vinaigrette.
- Arrange in salad bowls and garnish with the fried sweet potato.
Find more holiday recipes from local chefs here!