Chef Joe Shaw, Table 3 Restaurant and Market
“This traditional recipe is high in spirit and in calories, but it will add to your holiday cheer, and you know you will be dieting in January anyway,” Chef Shaw says. He leaves the choice of bourbon up to you, but we always suggest splurging for the good stuff.
- 6 eggs, separated
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup good bourbon
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Grated nutmeg (for garnish)
- Combine the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla, and mix until light and fluffy. Then, add the bourbon and stir together. Let the mixture stand at room temperature for 30 minutes (the alcohol cooks egg yolks).
- Meanwhile, in a bowl or electric mixer, beat the egg whites until you have a soft meringue set to the side.
- After the egg yolk and bourbon mixture has stood for 30 minutes, stir in the milk, cream and lastly the fluffy egg whites. Place in a covered container and refrigerate until completely chilled (about 4-6 hours).
- Serve in your choice of glassware and garnish with grated nutmeg.
Find more holiday recipes from local chefs here!