Chef Joe Shaw, Table 3 Restaurant and Market
- 6 eggs, separated
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup good bourbon
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Grated nutmeg (for garnish)
- Combine the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla and mix until light
- and fluffy. Then, add the bourbon and stir together. Let the
- mixture stand at room temperature for 30 minutes (the alcohol
- cooks egg yolks).
- Meanwhile, in a bowl or electric mixer, beat the egg whites
- until you have a soft meringue set to the side.
- After the egg yolk and bourbon mixture has stood for 30
- minutes, stir in the milk, cream and lastly the fluffy egg whites.
- Place in a covered container and refrigerate until completely
- chilled (about 4-6 hours). Serve in your choice of glassware
- and garnish with grated nutmeg.