When wondering how to best care for our skin, we, of course, turn to the experts. We asked these eight local beauty insiders to share their nighttime skincare routines, and we’re taking away a few tips and tricks for ourselves. Here they share not only what they do, but also the products they use and why. We have our morning routines down pat, but it might be time to reconsider what we’re doing before bedtime. From seven-step routines to the application of one trusty product, these women’s regimens are all different, but the one thing they have in common is that they never neglect their nightly routines.
Laurie Hays, BA, R.N., Co-Director, Facial Rejuvenation Center
“My nighttime beauty and skincare routine is a five-step ritual that starts with cleansing and exfoliating.
- I cleanse with a glycolic cleanser to accelerate the exfoliation of dead skin cells and help my skin look healthier and smoother.
- I use a mild lightweight scrub that works well at turning over superficial skin cells and gives me a more radiant complexion.
- I use a prescription-strength Retinol every other night, which speeds up cell turnover while I sleep.
- I can’t forget my eyes, so I use an eye creme that has improved the crepe-iness around my eyes. My second step for my eyes is Latisse, which has proven itself as a very effective treatment for lengthening my eyelashes.
- My final step is a serum that contains growth factors. This step increases my collagen and decreases inflammation, which we can all agree is the root of all evil.
Lastly, once a month before bed, I use a peel to revive dull-looking skin and minimize the appearance of discoloration, which has been an ongoing battle most of my adult life.”
Laurie’s favorite products: Facial Rejuvenation Center Rx Glycolic Cleanser; Oligo-Peel Exfoliation Crème by Esente’s™ Elite line; Retinol; ZO® Hydrafirm™; Latisse; SkinMedica’s® TNS Essential Serum®; Invisapeel™ Resurfacing by ZO® Skin Health
Tami Hall, Owner, Escape Day Spa & Salon
“I am always consistent and never, ever, ever neglect to thoroughly cleanse my face at the end of the day. No matter how late I get home or how tired I am (which is always) and even if I’m sick, I never go to bed without thoroughly cleansing and doing my entire skincare routine.
- Since I was 39 years old (14 years ago, yikes!), I have always started with a thorough cleansing with a cleanser that has sulfonic acid for even exfoliation and chamomile and aloe extracts for calming, cooling and refreshing properties — neither of which strip my skin of its natural oils and lipids but leave me feeling thoroughly clean.
- Next, I use morning and night, eye balm, which I swear has kept me from getting all the fine lines that happen to most people my age.
- One night a week I use Retinol to turn those old skin cells over, and the other nights, I use a bit of corrective gel to calm and nourish my skin with cucumber, grapefruit, eucalyptus and thyme extracts, and a botanical skin lightener to help combat hyperpigmentation. It also contains hyaluronic acid, which is capable of retaining 1,000 times its weight in water, making it the most effective and amazing moisturizer.
- Every six months, nightly, I use plant stem cell serum, which contains echinacea and butterfly bush plant stem cells to help resurface and nourish by smoothing fine lines and wrinkles and plumping up the skin’s surface. Once the bottle is gone, I wait six months to start another one.
- Lastly, I always apply a thin layer of the new moisturizer, which replenishes essential ceramides, cholesterol and fatty acids that are essential to minimizing pore size, improving skin’s smoothness and bringing back elasticity — adding to a more overall radiance.
Most importantly, I do the exact same routine to my face, neck, décolletage and hands and forearms. All the places we age first!”
Tami’s favorite products: SkinCeuticals Simply Clean (and Purifying Cleanser in the morning); SkinCeuticals Eye Balm; SkinCeuticals Retinol 1.0; Phyto Corrective Gel; Arbutin; Plant Stem Cell Serum from Naturopathica; Triple Lipid Moisturizer from SkinCeuticals
RELATED: 4 Tips for Melt-Proof Summer Makeup
Robin Haney, Owner, Apropos Day Spa
“I have had my own custom-formulated skincare line, Total Balance, for 15 years, so I mostly use products from my line. I do sometimes substitute with our other lines, like Revision, SkinCeuticals or Bioelements as well.
My nighttime beauty routine:
- Eye and face makeup remover followed by a cell renewal cleanser, which contains a mild blend of fruit acids to gently lift away excess dead cells
- Two or three times per week, I will use my Clarisonic with my cleanser.
- Bio-calm toner to soothe and hydrate
- RENU gel, which penetrates to the cellular level and over time, helps with firmness, fine lines, brown spots and discoloration. It also amplifies the properties of everything applied over it. This is one of our top selling products!
- Intensive Redox Serum is a 10x concentrate of the gel mentioned above. I apply this around the eye area, forehead, around my mouth and over my neck.
- Eye cream and moisturizer over face, neck and décolletage
- Apropos shea butter lip balm and shea body butter on hands and feet
Also, we carry a handheld skin care device that uses LED light, sonic vibration, heat and lymphatic drainage, so I use that for about five minutes several times a week to help penetrate products further and stimulate micro-circulation.
This looks like a lot of steps, but it really only takes about 10 minutes from start to finish, and 15 when I use the LED device.”
Robin’s favorite products: Total Balance Eye and Face Makeup Remover; Total Balance Cell Renewal Cleanser; Total Balance Bio-Calm Toner; RENU Cell Signaling Gel; Intensive Redox Serum; Total Balance Vital Nutrients Eye Cream; Total Balance Cell Renewal Moisturizer; Apropos Shea Butter Lip Balm; Apropos Shea Body Butter
Maegan Griffin, MSN, NP-C, Founder, Skin Pharm
“Many people consider applying your skincare routine once a day is enough, but that is furthest from the case!
- Removing makeup and cleansing your face at night helps to wash away build up from the day.
- After cleansing, applying products such as hyaluronic acid, peptides and retinol help to hydrate your skin and combat the appearance of that inevitable next birthday.
We can’t stay young forever, but we can try to look it with the help of a nighttime skincare routine!”
Maegan’s favorite products: Our favorite hyaluronic acid currently is our youth serum. Added bonus, it has three different peptides packed in, as well! This product helps to hydrate and plump the skin, decreasing fine lines and wrinkles. Refissa is a fabulous retinol that we are also loving. This prescription strength product is 0.05% Tretinoin cream that helps to decrease fine lines, wrinkles, as well as irregular pigmentation. The best part is, the consistency is a luxurious cream that helps to decrease any irritation.
Joy Stewart, Esthetician, Rhapsody Spa/Westin Nashville
- “My nighttime skin regimen starts with cleansing my face, neck and décolletage with a non-foaming enzyme gel cleanser that removes makeup and surface debris while the natural alpha hydroxy acids found in papaya and grapefruit gently exfoliate dead skin cells away. Then, I use an organic white washcloth to remove my cleanser.
- Since I like to wake up to better skin, I am really big on products that I can use overnight (because the skin regenerates and repairs during sleep cycles). This is when I use targeted serums like vitamin C and retinol to enhance my skin.
- When I need an extra boost for a special event, I will use an overnight hydrating gel masque to replenish and revitalize the skin or an intense overnight hydrating masque. It brightens and has lavender essential oils that put me right to sleep. If I don’t use a mask, I will use a moisturizer.
- Last but not least, I top off my nighttime skincare regimen with some chamomile tea and at least 8 to 10 hours sleep.”
Joy’s favorite products: I use Bamboo Firming Fluid, a non-prescription and non-drying natural alternative retinol by Eminence Organics for fine lines, wrinkles, tighter and firmer skin; ESPA Overnight Hydration Therapy; Regenerating Moisture Complex by ESPA that is infused with antioxidants green tea and sea amber to help smooth, firm and hydrate my skin
Karissa Paulk, Manager The Blowout Co.
“Any of the makeup artists at The Blowout Co. will tell you that skincare is the start to great makeup. At night, removing my makeup comes first, and I love to use a removing balm or makeup wipe to get it off. Cleansing is next, and I typically use something gentle for every day and throw in an exfoliating cleanser once a week to remove dead skin and build up. I like to use toner to remove anything the cleanser might miss, and if I have any blemishes, a spot corrector would come next. Anti-wrinkle serum or moisturizer are last, along with a little touch of lip balm. Voila, ready for bed!”
Karissa’s favorite products: I like to switch up brands/products!
Valorie Cole, Owner, Daniel Cole Collection
“I like vitamin E oil under the eyes and on my lips at night.”
Candice Bruder, Owner, Pure Sweat + Float Studio
“I’ve recently discovered some really special, all-natural cleansers and creams that smell and feel wonderful. They all use whole food ingredients that penetrate at an optimal, cellular level — and the results have been awesome, while also feeling like I’m having a mini spa experience.
Bonus pro tip: An infrared sauna session prior to nighttime helps cleanse skin of impurities, increases blood flow and produces soft, supple skin to absorb the nighttime products more effectively.”
Candice’s favorite products: Rhonda Allison Skin Brightening Cleanser or Ilike Milk Cleanser with Ilike Rosehip Exfoliator (can be found at Organic Skin Den in Nashville); Rhonda Allison Vital Replenishing Serum (post cleanse) + Ilike Sour Cherry Whipped Moisturizer mixed with Oxalis Facial Serum Daily Glow or Little Seed Farm Elasticity Serum, both of which give the skin such a healthy glow (and both available at Pure Sweat + Float Studio)!
What does your nighttime routine look like? Ours looks a little different after reading this!
Discover our favorite local health and beauty spots in the SB Guide!