Lee Ann, Tinwings
Apple Cranberry Orange Relish
Owner Lee Ann Merrick, Tinwings
“This recipe, from Chuck Williams’ Thanksgiving & Christmas cookbook, is one that my family (and now the Tinwings ToGo family) expects every season,” Lee Ann tell us. “Be sure to make lots — our kids get mad if we run out!”
- 1/2 orange
- 2 cups water
- 1 tart Granny Smith apple
- 3 cups fresh cranberries (frozen are fine, too)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- Squeeze the juice from the orange and set the juice aside.
- Remove and discard the membrane from inside the orange rind, and cut the rind into small dice.
- In a small saucepan over high heat, combine the rind and the water and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 10 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Peel, core and quarter the apple.
- Cut into 1/2-inch pieces and place in a saucepan.
- Sort the cranberries, discarding any soft ones.
- Add to the apples along with the orange juice, orange rind, sugar, cinnamon and cloves.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to low and cover the pan partially.
- Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, the apple is tender and the cranberries have burst, 10 to 15 minutes.
Find more holiday recipes from local chefs here!